Scheduled Parity Check

Morne

Hi Guys sorry if this have been asked before but I need some help .

I am living in a country where we have load shedding so I cannot run a parity check most of the Time.

Is there a way to do a schedule parity check for about 4 hours shutdown the server for 2 Hours and then do another Schedule that will continue where it left off.

I hope what I am asking is making any sense.

Thanks for the help.

55 minutes ago, harley dmello said:

The Parity Check on unraid run for 36 hours

The runtime is dependent on the larger Parity disk size and limited by the slowest active drive.

Array with smaller drives can be done much quicker.

1 hour ago, Morne said:

Is there a way to do a schedule parity check for about 4 hours shutdown the server for 2 Hours and then do another Schedule that will continue where it left off.

It is possible to pause and restart the parity check. Manually and also automatically since 6.11 but AFAIK you cannot stop the array (thus not stop the system) during that time.

Maybe the Parity check tuning plugin would allow that ?

2 hours ago, Morne said:

Thanks let me have a look at the Parity check tuning tonight sitting at work .

Thanks for the suggestion.

The plugin can do this as long as the shutdowns are ‘clean’ and as long as you set the restart option in the plugin settings.   It will not attempt to restart this if the shutdown was not clean as the required restart information is saved when the array is cleanly stopped.

2 minutes ago, Morne said:

When the power goes off I have a UPS that will shut it down in about 5 min .

I am not sure if that is enough time to cleanly shut the Server down.

Do you guy think that is long enough ?

You can probably test this easily enough by switching off the power to the UPS to simulate a power cut (do NOT unplug it) and wait for the server to power down.   If you now switch the power back on and boot the Unraid server if it thought the shutdown was unclean it would automatically start a parity check.

if the plugin is installed it also tends to give you informative messages as to whether a shutdown was unclean.

you might be now the victim of the never ending parity check same as i am. discussed here

if you dont have a 36 hour window for your parity check between CLEAN shutdowns you are screwed because Unraid will always do the new parity check until it is finished. Which is basically something you do want but not every day until you decide and make sure it can run it for the 36 hours uninterrupted

30 minutes ago, theruck said:

if you dont have a 36 hour window for your parity check between CLEAN shutdowns you are screwed because Unraid will always do the new parity check until it is finished.

Not true!   If you have the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed it can restart a parity check from last point reached as long as your shutdowns are clean.

• Thanks 1

how is it different? if you cannot guarantee the on state for the parity check duration and you dont have the plugin installed there is nothing you can do because Limetech always expects that your parity needs a check after a dirty reboot and always expects that your parity is in tact after a clean reboot.

it is always a very primitive guess about your parity state based on poor assumptions so never ever believe what is written in the GUI as you always have check if the last parity check ran sucessfully until the finish and still most probably the automatic parity check has been ran with auto correct parity option which is not what you want to do on the first run as explained here

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

If you have the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed it can restart a parity check from last point reached as long as your shutdowns are clean.

have you ever tested it? on the reboot the plugin says it will continue after reboot but after a clean reboot the OS says Parity is valid and the scheduled parity check from the plugin never starts

Edited by theruck
16 minutes ago, theruck said:

have you ever tested it? on the rebobot the plugin says it will continue after reboot but after a clean reboot the OS says Parity is valid and the scheduled parity check from the plugin never starts

It has been working for me when I tested it.  I am always prepared to admit, though, that there could have been a flaw in my testing or that I have introduced a bug somehow.   Thinking about it I have not explicitly tested it in a 6.11.x release (in case that is relevant).

It would be useful to help me work out what is going wrong for you if you could enable the Testing mode of logging in the plugin with the option to save the plugin login entries to the flash drive.and repeat the process so I can see what is going on under the covers.   After the reboot has succeeded if you could send me your diagnostics zip file and the .log file from the plugin’s folder on the flash drive I should be able to work out what actually happened and if it shows up a bug work on fixing it.

• Thanks 1
On 10/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, itimpi said:

It has been working for me when I tested it.  I am always prepared to admit, though, that there could have been a flaw in my testing or that I have introduced a bug somehow.   Thinking about it I have not explicitly tested it in a 6.11.x release (in case that is relevant).

It would be useful to help me work out what is going wrong for you if you could enable the Testing mode of logging in the plugin with the option to save the plugin login entries to the flash drive.and repeat the process so I can see what is going on under the covers.   After the reboot has succeeded if you could send me your diagnostics zip file and the .log file from the plugin’s folder on the flash drive I should be able to work out what actually happened and if it shows up a bug work on fixing it.

I have the same 

2 hours ago, Morne said:

I have the same 

I have found a bug introduced in one of the last releases of this plugin that stops the restart of a parity check after a reboot working as it should.   I should have a fixed release of the plugin out in the next day or so (the testing is quite time consuming).

• Like 1