Is my owner of shares wrong?

Hi all

I followed spaceinvaders guide for making the media folders on unraid server.

But now i can see that all my folders have a owner "daniel"

I think it is becurse i signed in via SMB on my pc (with daniel) and made all the folders.

I was just thinking if i removed the user "daniel" then they will not have the correct owner.

So is this just fine or do i need to change it?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.9cfc0150b50974ce459df6d4abee446d.png

From the docker safe new permissions info-

This utility will restore standard unRaid permissions to all shares and files without touching any of the APPDATA shares for docker applications. 

(Many times, a docker application has specific requirements for its ownership / permissions on the files contained within its appdata, and the standard New Permissions tool will change these, possibly rendering the docker application inoperable.) 

You should use this tool in case a misconfigured docker application (notably CouchPotato or Sonarr / SickBeard) has written media files to your array with the wrong permissions, and you find yourself unable to modify / delete those files.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DanielPT said:

So this tool is for the dockers not the shares i made? :) Is it not safer to just change the owner to nobody ? :)

That’s pretty much backwards. It will correct all shares but leave docker appdata folders alone.

You can change each file one-at-a-time if you prefer. This tool just makes it a little easier.

4 hours ago, DanielPT said:

I only have a few folders :)

But what cut happen if i change the owner to nobody? :) Thanks!

I’ve never had any issues with that. All my files have that owner set. Of course that’s not a guarantee. You can easily change it back though with the Dynamix File Manager plugin you can set it to whatever you want.

• Like 1

@DanielPT, I believe what the problem may be is the the Group is not set to users 

I have just verified what @wgstarks stated.   In fact, even if the owner is another user, a second user can modify files if they are given permission to do so.

As an example, I just deleted a file owned by   smbuser    while logged in as   user   where the permissions were set as follows:

image.png.aed1c46d8948b8f4f6844302b1e4884c.png

In this case, the actual user would not be able to delete the file!

What I think happens behind the scenes is that all Share Users are members of the   users   Group.  Thus they have the same privileges as the owner if the permissions are set to the defaults of 777 for directories and 666 for files.  

As a point of information, either permission script will change the Owner to nobody and the Group to users and the permissions to 777 or 666.  

EDIT:  Please note the permissions.  I understand that some Dockers do not set up the permissions correctly for the Group.  If they don't, you will have a problem with Unraid behavior eventually.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1