System Hangs when Going to Sleep

vali

Hi, I have been using Unraid for a while now for NAS and I also use it as my gaming machine with VM and GPU passthrough. I just upgraded my machine and I've been trying to get everything working with the new hardware. The Unraid version and hardware I am using is:

Unraid Version: 6.11.2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X

Motherboard: ASUS X570 Gaming Plus

Memory: 2x32GB 3600 DDR4

GPU: EVGA 3080TI

The only issue I've been having troubles with is the system always hangs when I try to put it to sleep or when it tries to go to sleep automatically. It sounds like it turns off everything but the power never goes off. I also get a print that it goes to S3 state (should be visible in the syslog attached), afterwards I just get a screen with the horizontal line at the top left and the screen never shuts off.

The problem occurs every single time the system tries to go to sleep, even right after a reboot with the array, docker, and VMs off. I have tried various things most of which haven't made a difference, I will list some of them here as well as the results I've seen. 

Set Power Supply Idle Control to typical current idle: System hangs.

Disabled C States: System hangs.

Tried older Unraid version 6.8.0: Goes to sleep with no problem!

Tried older Unraid version 6.9.2: System hangs.

Tried running Unraid 6.11.2 in safe mode with GUI (no plugins): Goes to sleep with no problem!

Tried uninstalling the sleep app: System hangs.

(In safe mode and after uninstalling the sleep app I used the command "echo mem > /sys/power/state" to invoke sleep state.)

I attached my diagnostic, as well as a persistent log across multiple reboots while trying to debug the problem.

If anyone can help me get to the bottom of this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

syslog.zip tower-diagnostics-20221107-1949.zip

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I have the exact same issue.

Hardware:
ASUS X570 TUF Gaming X570 Pro Wifi
Ryzen 9 5900x

Latest Unraid version

It worked already in the past, but as soon as the system wants to sleep, I have the same symptoms (need to switch the server manually off then).

Did also few Bios Updates in the meantime, could it maybe really be a Bios issue?

UPDATE:

Sleep mode itself is working normally on that server on windows (just tested it on the "backup windows installation").
So it has sth to do with Unraid.

sleep plugin log (after last entry the Unraid server has to be switched off manually - can also not be pinged): 

Sat Feb  4 20:45:35 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:45:36 CET 2023: Check TCP/SSH/TTY/IP activity
Sat Feb  4 20:45:36 CET 2023: Network activity on going: 58680000 b/s
Sat Feb  4 20:46:36 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:46:36 CET 2023: Check TCP/SSH/TTY/IP activity
Sat Feb  4 20:46:36 CET 2023: Network activity on going: 201200 b/s
Sat Feb  4 20:47:36 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:47:36 CET 2023: Check TCP/SSH/TTY/IP activity
Sat Feb  4 20:47:36 CET 2023: Network activity on going: 171176 b/s
Sat Feb  4 20:48:01 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:48:01 CET 2023: Extra delay period running: 1 minute(s)
Sat Feb  4 20:49:01 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:49:02 CET 2023: Extra delay period running: 0 minute(s)
Sat Feb  4 20:49:02 CET 2023: Initialize TCP activity counter
Sat Feb  4 20:50:02 CET 2023: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Sat Feb  4 20:50:02 CET 2023: Check TCP/SSH/TTY/IP activity
Sat Feb  4 20:50:13 CET 2023: Communication state is idle
Sat Feb  4 20:50:13 CET 2023: Execute custom commands before sleep
Sat Feb  4 20:50:23 CET 2023: Enter sleep state now

Edited by Stri

Hi, I actually found the root cause of my problem. After switching from an intel system to a new machine I left the boot options the same and one of them was causing the sleep problem. I found that when I started UNRAID in safe mode sleep was working fine so I started adding things one by one until I finally figured out exactly which piece was causing the problem. I recommend you try the same. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

S3 sleep is not support in a stock install, you can try the Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin, but it doesn't work with every hardware, and some issues can be hardware related.

And this from a mod… sometime it's better write nothing…

I am using the plugin, and the log posted from stri is also from the plugin…

and what hardware issue could it be, when it's working perfect with 6.9.2 but not with 6.11.5?

Edited by AcidRainX
some grammar
53 minutes ago, AcidRainX said:

what hardware issue could it be, when its working perfect with 6.9.2 but not with 6.11.5?

From a Limetech perspective, S3 Sleep (or any sleep state) is not supported in Unraid because it is very dependent on how the motherboard/BIOS implements it and the Linux kernel version.  It can work perfectly on given hardware with one version of Unraid/Linux kernel and not work on the same hardware with a different version of Unraid/Linux kernel.

Any sleep function for Unraid is provided by plugins and not considered part of the core product considering there is no way to guarantee it will work.  I am not at all associated with Limetech and do not speak for them, but this has been a point of discussion over the years.

I have been through at least seven different motherboards with Unraid.  S3 sleep worked perfectly on some, not at all on others and only partially on yet others.  I had one motherboard on which the system would go to sleep without problem but would then hang and not fully wake up.  Everything but video output seemed to come back from sleep.  The only way I could get it working again was to reset the CMOS.  I even contacted the board manufacturer who said S3 and other sleep states were guaranteed to work only under Windows and Linux was not officially supported.  It was just their way of saying "Sorry, you are running Linux on this motherboard? If something doesn't work, we are not responsible!"

Personally, I gave up on S3 sleep with Unraid long ago as, in my opinion, there are too many variables to ensure it will work properly.  Since I could not rely on S3 sleep always working across Unraid/Linux kernel versions on the same hardware, I could not rely on it as part of my workflow.  I went the IPMI route for servers that are used lightly and, through User Script automation, they are powered on and off automatically when needed.  My main server I just run 24x7 and spin down the disks when inactive.  Not the most power efficient solution but the server is available when it is needed without worrying if it  will wake up from sleep.

The bottom line is that on some systems sleep works perfectly and other others it is problematic.  There is a reason it is not supported in core Unraid; too hard to keep track of the hardware/Linux kernel combinations that are problem free and defeats the "Unraid works on almost any hardware" goal.

Edited by Hoopster
  • JorgeB locked and unlocked this topic