USB Boot vs. Boot-Order in VM

hawihoney

Mit dem Unraid Upgrade von 6.11.1 auf 6.11.3 bin ich beim Start der Unraid VMs (Unraid Host und Unraid Client) in einer Art BIOS gelandet. Früher startete jede Unraid VM sofort. Der Unraid Client startet von einem USB Stick aber davor hängt natürlich eine VDisk.

In den Announcements hatte ich schon gelesen, dass man nun eine Boot Order angeben muss. Aber was genau ist denn nun erforderlich? Die Boot Order bei der VDisk oder die Checkbox bei "Enable USB boot"?

Was ist korrekt?

Vielen Dank.

Unbenannt.jpg.f4d95eaf8d845a7905518a2b034906a3.jpg

2 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Dann ist das vermutlich nur ein leerer Datenträger. Weil Unraid braucht ja nichts außer den Stick und klar die Array Datenträger, aber da hast du ja den HBA durchgeschliffen.

Ich habe den alten Link gefunden. Nach dieser Anleitung bin ich vorgegangen:

https://www.linuxserver.io/blog/2015-12-14-creating-an-unraid-virtual-machine-to-run-on-an-unraid-host

Unter "Step 5" wird eine VDisk angelegt - warum auch immer.

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

USB Boot Yes is really only needed if you have multi same vendor/prod and use USB_Manager to connect them.

I address passed through USB devices by "bus:device" and not by "vendor:product". That way I'm completely independent of same devices, IDs, whatever. No USB-Manager here.

This did work for years. Now with 6.11.3 I'm greeted and stuck in some kind of BIOS whenever I start a Unraid VM. This BIOS appears after hitting 10-20 times on ESC, etc. Within the unknown BIOS I need to hit "Continue". After that the Unraid VM starts. 

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <address bus='1' device='2'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

Edited by hawihoney
55 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

I address passed through USB devices by "bus:device" and not by "vendor:product". That way I'm completely independent of same devices, IDs, whatever. No USB-Manager here.

This did work for years. Now with 6.11.3 I'm greeted and stuck in some kind of BIOS whenever I start a Unraid VM. This BIOS appears after hitting 10-20 times on ESC, etc. Within the unknown BIOS I need to hit "Continue". After that the Unraid VM starts. 

<source>
        <address bus='1' device='2'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>

Just add boot order to your XML, You may have to remove off the disk

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0930'/>
        <product id='0x6545'/>
        <address bus='1' device='21'/>
      </source>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/11/2022 at 7:52 AM, SimonF said:

<boot order='1'/>

Thanks. After a first crash of my Unraid Server in 10-12 years, I tried to change the VM Start. Added boot_order=1 to the USB stick and changed the IMG to boot_order=2. Startup is way faster now. Next time I will remove the IMG completely.

Thanks for the tip.