Cache filling up every night then resolving itself

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Every morning I wake up to errors about the cache running out then it resolves itself.  Running Version 6.11.5 2022-11-20

Looking at the log I see this:

Dec 30 04:54:16 Odin shfs: copy_file: /mnt/disk2/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img /mnt/cache/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img.partial (28) No space left on device.

Here are my cache settings:

image.thumb.png.430a52cf675d67b080c09edddd961432.png

This is similar to this post but the resolution involves changing cache settings (based on advice in 2018) and I can't find this in my current version settings to see if this is the issue.

https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate/discussions/4822

Any help appreciated.  Happy to post more information as needed.  Thanks.

This looks right.

But looking again at your first screenshot it seems your domains share is set to cache:prefer. How much stuff is in there? Prefer will make mover try to move everything in that share onto the cache everytime it runs, likely your cache is too small to fit your VMs and it fails each time. 

Click the "Compute" on the domains line (or better yet, "Compute All" button at the bottom) on the shares page and post a screenshot.

Edited by Kilrah

So yes, the domains share has 537GB on disk2, and your choice of Cache:Prefer causes the mover to try to move that to the SSD that only has 146GB free.

Set it to cache:no so it leaves things as is if that's how you want them. 

Your system share likely also has duplicate files on both the cache and disk2, if the files on disk2 are older you'll want to delete them. 

Edited by Kilrah

@Kilrah How do I confirm that there are duplicate files on cache and disk2?  I don't feel comfortable deleting files until I understand this more.

Also, I just realized that my backup runs weekly on a Monday.  So this should not have been causing the bump in disk usage every night.  Since switching to cache:no on domains yesterday,  I only got warnings about utilization and no alerts.  So something is still happening.  I do have the second SSD drive attached that is unused.  I could add this as a second cache drive since I am not using it for anything else?

@kilrah

I did a quick run through of disk2 and cache and didn't see anything older on disk2.  Just out of curiosity is there a reason you said to check between disk2 and cache vs. any other disk?  Should I check the other disks?

Also, if I set a disk to prefer:cache and then ran mover manually, then turned cache off - would it correct out of date files?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, The Transplant said:

I did a quick run through of disk2 and cache and didn't see anything older on disk2.

You checked disk2/system and cache/system? The point is that only cache/system should contain files. If disk2/system also does then they're in conflict, and you want to delete the older one.

13 hours ago, The Transplant said:

Also, if I set a disk to prefer:cache and then ran mover manually, then turned cache off - would it correct out of date files?

Mover will not move a file if there's already a duplicate at the destination, which is likely your case.

@Kilrah In disk2\system\docker I have one file docker.img with a timestamp of 22-10-17.  In cache\system\docker I have one file docker.img with a timestamp of 23-1-08.  For system I have Prefer Cache.  So should I delete the docker.img file in disk2\system\docker, the older file, and then run mover?  Similarly in disk2\system\libvirt I have a file libvirt.img with a timestamp of 22-10-17.  In cache\system\libvirt I have a file libvirt.img with a timestamp of 23-1-1.  Should I delete the older file in disk2\system\libvirt?  Thanks.