Can not activate docker/vm - 'path does not exist'

Garf
Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

Hello!

I have trouble with my unraid-Server.  The activation of the Docker or VMs does not work.

Worked flawless for years as NAS only  (4 HDDs incl. parity, generated user shares for me and for media/photo/music etc). 

Straight & simple, no VMs or docker apps. Works! 

In the end of 2022  I decided to extend the functionality of the server by using Docker apps (Nextcloud, plex).

I read the recommendations/tutorials and therefore bought a SSD for the apps.

Assigned that SSD as standard cache pool.

Everthing works nice until I wanted to activate the Docker.

I can not 'Apply' that activation of Docker, because the paths are not set or available 'path does not exist':

Screenshot_unraid_docker.thumb.png.1b8cf95d3c0dff10e248e58a07a4ba4e.png

Same is true for the VM activation.

I thought (from some tutorials here) these paths should exist on the the HDD-Share and I have to move it to the cache pool. 

But they don't exist there.

Another point: In most tutorials/FAQ exits in the 'Share list' the system folders (system, appdata, domains etc.) - so you can move it to the cache pool by 'mover' and then select the corresponding directories for the docker activation.

These Shares does not exist in my Share Tab:

Screenshot_unraid_shares.png.c445f9047aca83a5782b488cb2556b4a.png 

Thats all what I have.

So I can not move axisting appdata share to the cache pool.

On the GUI I can not create /user/sytem or /user/appdata on the cache drive.

Additionally the terminal has a problem too.

If I try to open the terminal from the GUI top-bar I got a error Massage  that nginx cann not be found. 

So an additional path is not correctly set:

Screenshot_unraid_terminal.thumb.png.0ed18c200eeb4eb60937a463611a6c1d.png  

So I running in circles: 

I can not create the path/shares for appdata in the GUI, so I can not choose a useful path in the Docker activation Dialog, and therefore I can not activate Docker. 

A lot of Sytem Paths seems to be not set in my unraid server.

I don't know why they are missing.

I wanted to avoid to manually fix it on the console, because I have only a basic knowledge in Linux and don't want to mess up my running NAS.

Attached is the diagnostic file from my unraid server.

May be some of the more-experienced-than-me unraid users can point me to the right direction or has an Idea what is wrong with my setup.

Best Regards,

Garf

bgunraid-diagnostics-20230103-0128.zip

• Solution

you must have done something wrong when you have installed the ssd cache.

Normally these folders are created automatically on the "cache" pool

Anyway, not really a big deal, but you have to keep in mind that /mnt/user/... is just a virtual path, you cannot create folders there.

Instead create /mnt/cache/appdata and /mnt/cache/system, automagically they will appear as shares in the gui and the mapping will be done.

Use either the console or use "mc" from the gui.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

So I have done it manually, as MAM59 mentioned:

created over the console in /mnt/cache/ the directories for appdata, system, domains, isos (for playing around with VMs) & downloads. 

They appear under user shares and now I can apply the activation of docker 🙂

Still the problem exists with the original GUI-integrated terminal (see the error message in the last pic in my original post).

Looks there are additional paths not correctly set. Any Ideas?

NAS working for years - so I should have messed up something in the initial setup of the unraid server years ago.

Thanks for your help - now I will play around with some docker apps 🙂

Garf

Unfortunately, you are using a version of Unraid that had a bug in diagnostics collection that doesn't give any information about which disks your user shares are on. But I can see the settings for your user shares. Since you followed the advice to manually create those folders, those user shares have default settings, which is not what you want.

Go to User Shares page, click Compute All at bottom, wait for results to complete, post a screenshot.

... realised the same thing at the time of posting the screenshot. But than I already started the move of movie-sahre to disk3.

I corrected all the shares for the docker/vm directories to cache only.

Now it looks like this: Screenshot_unraid_shares_compute-all2.thumb.png.62940db0c1bd077f3f0f6170e04334b4.png

the docker activation dialog looks like this:

Screenshot_unraid_docker2.thumb.png.50723ff4e086e5dc61f71b539e8c2f9a.png

Is that the way to go?

Setting the usr/appdata user/system etc. to cache only and here in the docker-dialog using the virtual paths /mnt/usr/appdata etc. ?

The requested directory listings you can see here. So after the my fixes - it should look like this!?

Screenshot_unraid_terminal2.png.e8991acfbc0e82173bbe5bd825bf0f22.png

The weired behavior with the integrated unraid-GUI-terminal ist still there.

Most of the time I got the above mentioned error massage 'Bad Gateway nginx'.

But some times (approx every fifth or sixth try) I got a working terminal - see the above picture.

Why doas it some times work and the other times not?

Garf

• 1 year later...

@trurlcan you help?  I'm having a very similar problem.  I left the country for a month and when I got back I noticed none of my socket containers were running.  Further investigation revealed what your seeing in the image. As far as I know the only thing I may have done is update.  I'll post diagnostics soon.

Screenshot_20240113_230228_Chrome.jpg

What steps can be taken to prevent this?  My cache is freaking 4tb and it's definitely not full.  I followed the above steps and while it does reinstall all the apps I have to go through and individually recreate and reconfigure every app running from a container.  Plex is the worst for this.  But, other things like Filebrowser I have to recreate all the shares, accounts, folder assignments, etc.?  It's not feasible.  I've never had this problem prior to unraid.

4 minutes ago, addohm said:

What steps can be taken to prevent this?  My cache is freaking 4tb and it's definitely not full.  I followed the above steps and while it does reinstall all the apps I have to go through and individually recreate and reconfigure every app running from a container.  Plex is the worst for this.  But, other things like Filebrowser I have to recreate all the shares, accounts, folder assignments, etc.?  It's not feasible.  I've never had this problem prior to unraid.

Were you reinstalling the docker containers via Apps->Previous Apps->Docker?   That should keep settings intact.

18 hours ago, addohm said:

As far as I know the only thing I may have done is update.

Do you mean you updated Unraid version? What version were you using?

Your docker templates that are used by Previous Apps to reinstall your containers exactly as they were, are saved on the flash drive like all of the other settings from the webUI.

Do you have a flash backup?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Do you mean you updated Unraid version? What version were you using?

Your docker templates that are used by Previous Apps to reinstall your containers exactly as they were, are saved on the flash drive like all of the other settings from the webUI.

Do you have a flash backup?

As for updates, I probably updated both the OS and the apps.  I can't stand the banners they throw in your face to update so I just concede after a while and do it.  Lol

I expected that as it's what the documentation said.  Maybe it's just to do with Plex?  I don't know.  I'll try another app tomorrow when I get back home.  Been trying to work on this remotely and it's been a pain.

You mean of the USB containing unraid os?  No not one that's up to date.  

38 minutes ago, trurl said:

You must always have a current backup of the Unraid boot flash. It contains everything about your configuration.

According to that document, so should my current working flash drive ;). I acknowledge that though, I know.

I'll be home in 10 hours but at first glance there is three docker instances of Filebrowser when I only had one.  All three have the shares mapped appropriately but only one has the IP mapped correctly.  Can't check logs right now but I started it and can't access it (white page, no login prompt).  Makes me worry about starting OneDrive instances (should be two, only see one) because it could trigger two weeks worth of downloading.  

Screenshot_20240115_082848_Chrome.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have a similar topic with the docker path.

I formated my ssds in windows and again in unraid.

I try to create also the folders mnt/cache/appdata and /mnt/cache/system, but it seems that are not visible when I try to configure the path for docker.

Could someone help me with this? 

Moreover a second ssd it's not showing in unRaid, but in windows it's visible.

jarvis2.0-syslog-20240624-0801.zip