Is ARM support anywhere in the making?

On 2/12/2024 at 8:02 AM, Nirvash said:

I was watching this Jeff Geerling video, searched if unraid could run on that thing and found this thread... 

Looks like that ARM NAS hardware is finally starting to appear, but it's still very far to be consumer hardware. 

32 core 128 PCIe lanes CPU 40W at full load, what's not to like? Put it on this ASRock Rack mATX motherboard ... these are what Geerling is using.

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-altrad8u-1l2t-is-a-matx-motherboard-for-up-to-128-cores-ampere-altra-arm/

5 hours ago, JoeSpeed said:

what's not to like

The boot process most of the times, buggy hardware support for most PCIe devices, you probably can't use many Docker container because of missing aarch64 support and many more things...

...but don't get me wrong, I'm not against ARM but you should also read the two posts before yours. I really like the ARM approach but it will take some more time that it will finally will be usable hassle free for consumers. With that said, if Risc-V will be adopted widely it could overtake ARM and become it's successor <- of course only if AI doesn't wipe out humanity... :P