[6.11.5] disk 14 has 327,424 read errors during parity sync

mrbens

Installed a second parity disk yesterday and the parity sync is currently at 46%.

Just got home to see disk 14 has had 327,424 read errors.

image.thumb.png.421cf1c30e9138a0753b9d92b7d23851.png

Doesn't look to be any serious SMART errors.

image.thumb.png.d5d249f4ba1b33a35185b0325ff768ce.png

It's connected to a Broadcom 8 Port 6Gbps SAS 9207-8i SGL PCI-E Host Bus Adaptor. Doesn't seem to be any issues with the others disks connected to the controller.

Bit worried if it fails as I have no parity at the moment and have had a few disks fail recently.

Attached diagnostics. Please advise.

tower-diagnostics-20230119-2218.zip

Edited by mrbens
55 minutes ago, mrbens said:

Installed a second parity disk yesterday and the parity sync is currently at 46%

Why did you New Config? Installing parity2 (Q) will not invalidate parity (P) and only parity2 is built, but New Config makes it rebuild both.

Looks like connection problem with disk14

Hi trurl, thanks for the reply.

I did New Config since I was removing a disk to move to another server and also removing 3 disks that had either died or SMART errors were incrementing that I'd copied the data off (https://forums.unraid.net/topic/133224-6115-disk-9-disabled-after-1175-errors/).

Is that the correct way to remove disks from the array?

Had a few other changes to make at the same time as removing the disks, so since I needed to do New Config sorted it all at once to let parity rebuild:

Added second parity.

Added a new data disk.

Moved a disk physically in the server and on the GUI to another slot.

Cables for disk 14 seem securely in.

Is there anything you recommend I do with disk 14 such as extended SMART test or check filesystem?

When the parity sync finishes, should I do another parity check to see if it completes without errors?

Edited by mrbens
On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, trurl said:

yes

yes

no

Extended SMART test didn't go too well. Got to around 70% and now the disk has been error disabled after a further 1024 errors. This is about the 8th disk recently to fail. Really don't know what's going on.

Attached diagnostics.

Please advise if there's anything else to do, but guess it'll need replacing. Thank you.

image.png.769dca8d98d0f9f0a431deda70d3cdf0.png

image.thumb.png.d323065db3abb8e5774c354abba3854b.png

image.thumb.png.691cb2c9cbf34a93bbbd3d6ad55ccb5c.png

tower-diagnostics-20230121-1623.zip

36 minutes ago, trurl said:

I would replace then you can work with the disk outside the array to see if it's worth reusing for someting. Preclear might get those pending sectors reallocated.

Thank you. Swapped out disk 14 for a spare disk I was going to use for backups and moved it to another server to try a Preclear.

With all the read errors during the parity-sync, does that mean there's likely to be corrupt files when disk 14 gets rebuilt from parity?

Edited by mrbens