Accidentally ran rm on root and reformatted usb without config

can4d

In addition to /boot, you probably have /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ... Those would be the contents of disk1, disk2, etc.

Except for /boot and /mnt, you don't need anything else that might have been moved. All the OS files and folders like /etc are unpacked fresh from archives on flash (those bz* files) into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware.

How much of your data actually got moved?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you want me to move it or copy it? I am very confused about where I am navigating here. I realize i have booted from the usb, but which files from which drive am I looking at when I "ls /boot" Why can't I just mount the old data drive and move the files to that from the usb where I moved them?

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

In addition to /boot, you probably have /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ... Those would be the contents of disk1, disk2, etc.

Except for /boot and /mnt, you don't need anything else that might have been moved. All the OS files and folders like /etc are unpacked fresh from archives on flash (those bz* files) into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware.

How much of your data actually got moved?

I don't have anything in /mnt

that is the first place I checked and it doesn't show anything. 

quite a few files were pulled from "/" The main dir that killed me was the /bin which removed my access to any commands to troubleshoot. 

as I am booted from RAM how do I access my /boot files to put them on the usb? is what I am confused about. 

I guess my point of confusion is I can place the files on the flash drive, but how do I get them to the unraid in the place they were before? 

Once I copy the removed files to the usb, I put them at the top level of the usb and then what command (path) would I use to place them?

Really all you need is the config folder from /boot on a new install of Unraid. That config folder has all of your configuration, and the rest of boot is already on a new install.

52 minutes ago, trurl said:

All the OS files and folders like /etc are unpacked fresh from archives on flash (those bz* files) into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware.

1. I am still very confused. so I should not worry about copying the files that I moved? 
  2. After booting from the flash drive, I should copy files from the /boot to the flash drive? (what is this command: mv /boot/* to-where)
  3. When I type "ls /mnt" there is nothing there but you say nothing got moved. If I don't see anything there what does it mean "nothing got moved"?

so when I boot from the flash and type "ls /boot" those are the files that I am to put on my flash drive or are you assuming the /boot directory was moved from my f**up command when I moved files to the external drive and it is those set of original files you want me to put on the flash drive? 

I am still attempting to mount the damn drive to get the files that I moved because I don't have a pc. I use a mac and its giving me issues with mounting so I can't confirm it copied the /boot dir as of right now. 

if its the first scenario I can copy the files from the /boot on my unraid, I just don't know which /boot I am looking at and how to move to my flash drive since nothing is mounted. 

I have nothing any more at the moment. the drive I moved stuff to no longer works. I was not able to get the key file. I had a license for 6 drives. my mess up could have been recovered had I not created a reformatted my flash drive with a new version without copying the /config .

I don't know my assignments no. pretty upset at the moment. 

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Post a screenshot of the entire Main GUI page.

this is what I see. 

I now have my license back and can proceed but a little nervous about making a mistake. Following the advice from here: https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device#What_to_do_if_you_have_no_backup_and_do_not_know_your_disk_assignments:

I am stuck as the instructions don't align. Should I select "All" for "Preserve Current Assignments"?

Tower_NewConfig.png