Cache drive crashed - All Appdata missing

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

1 hour ago, Bosshappy said:

Yeah, that's the problem.  There is no app data to restore.

If you have not been backing up appdata elsewhere (typically onto the main array) and it was on the pool (as is the preferred solution for performance reasons) then it will have been lost when you lost the cache drive.    Typically one would install the CA Backup plug-in to automate regular backups of appdata to another location.   That would mean, therefore, that each container is starting again from its initial state.

Yeah, that's what I deduced.  As far as I can tell, when I upgraded to V2 of the CA backup, either I forgot to update the settings or the upgrade did not copy the settings.  Either way, a lesson has been learned.

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I fully don't understand how the cache drive works.  I assume I am to configure the V2 CA backup against /mnt/cache/appdata?  Originally, I think it was against /mnt/user/appdata.

Should I be configuring the docker apps to store in /mnt/cache/appdata?  I had them configured to /mnt/user/appdata.

Overall, my assumption was the cache drive would move data in and out as needed, thus I shouldn't set configurations directly against it.

• Solution

cache is part of user shares. Your appdata share is configured to cache:prefer, so it will prefer to keep the files there, which is the default and best place for it, but it needs to be backed up.

/mnt/cache/appdata is that portion of appdata that is on the pool named 'cache'. In your case that is all of appdata currently.

/mnt/user/appdata is all of the appdata share, including any appdata that might be on the array or other pools.

If the cache pool ever gets less than Minimum Free, appdata could overflow to the array since it is prefer instead of only. But since you have no Minimum Free set for cache, it will never overflow, so if it fills up, writes to it will fail. Often btrfs seems to corrupt when it gets too full, so this may be the cause of your original problem.

/mnt/user/appdata covers more situations, /mnt/cache/appdata might be more efficient but doesn't cover as many situations.