RAM-Disk for Docker status/log files

I am testing this on Unraid v6.12.10

What is the best way to know if it is working as intended or functioning correctly? Just log SSD usage using power on hours and the TBW? That's what I have been doing at the moment.

Thank you for this!

41 minutes ago, Unraidmule said:

What is the best way to know if it is working as intended or functioning correctly?

It shows being installed and the backup being done every half hour in the syslog.

Edited by Kilrah
4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It shows being installed and the backup being done every half hour in the syslog.

Thanks for the reply, I checked the syslog and found an error:

docker: Error: RAM-Disk Mod found incompatible files: 8d6094c1d113eb67411e18abc8aaf15d /etc/rc.d/rc.docker 9f0269a6ca4cf551ef7125b85d7fd4e0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor

IDK how to fix the issue or why it is occurring.

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

And you're using this one?

The one pointed to by the first post is for an older version.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, just checked the go file, and I'm using:

RAM-Disk for Docker json/log files v1.6 for 6.12.5

I will upgrade to latest and report back!

I really appreciate the help Kilrah.

EDIT:

Ran the latest script and found these two in the syslog

Before starting docker:

Tower kernel: RAMDISK: [mem 0x64b36000-0x6689ffff]

After starting docker:

Tower docker: RAM-Disk created

So it looks like the script is working now.

Thank you for all the help! Will report back with TBW once I give it enough time.

I have some extra parameters on some containers I tried as a solution before this script, for example:

--log-driver none --no-healthcheck --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-mode=1777,tmpfs-size=256000000

--log-driver syslog --log-opt syslog-address=udp://127.0.0.1:541 --no-healthcheck --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/tmp,tmpfs-mode=1777,tmpfs-size=256000000

Should they be removed so they don't interfere with the script?

Edited by Unraidmule
Update with syslog information
On 4/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, Unraidmule said:

Should they be removed so they don't interfere with the script?

This won't interfere, but you already avoid writing several log files. Maybe those are useful for you? Then you can now enable them by removing "--log-driver none" and "--log-driver syslog --log-opt syslog-address=udp://127.0.0.1:541" parts.

Even "--no-healthcheck" could be removed as well.

4 hours ago, mgutt said:

This won't interfere, but you already avoid writing several log files. Maybe those are useful for you? Then you can now enable them by removing "--log-driver none" and "--log-driver syslog --log-opt syslog-address=udp://127.0.0.1:541" parts.

Even "--no-healthcheck" could be removed as well.

Thanks for the reply. Will test out removing those parameters completely. With the script and changing to folder structure I got my writes from ~5 GB per hour to ~2 GB per hour.

Is there a solution to reduce it further like having some appdata in RAM disk which also syncs back for chatty dockers like the arr apps?