networking auto creating bond but I do not want one - yet

I have a new array I am configuring.  I am trying to get the networking right before starting the array for the first time so this is a newly created flash drive and I have assigned all my disks but not started the array yet.

I have a 4-port NIC that has two 10GbE ports that are not plugged in.  They are numbered physically on the card as ports 1 and 2.

The other two ports are numbered 3 and 4 and they are GbE ports.  I have port 3 connected to the network only.

When I first boot the system, it creates the network (see photo below) with eth0 in bonding mode.  If I try to disable bonding, I lose connectivity to the array.  I have to then login at the console and delete the /boot/config/network.cfg and the network rules file and reboot.  When the array reboots, it configures the network with bonding enabled again.  

The eventual goal is to do have it configured as follows:

ports 3 and 4 configured as a bond.

ports 1 and 2 configured as a bond but connected directly with twinax cable to another server's 10GbE card so that I can migrate my data off the old server over a 10GbE connection.

So I am trying to start simple and just bring up one GbE interface with a single ethernet cable connected and no bonding.

Any help would be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.446d7a03e183a3d1a5087cd0734946cb.png

first of all: get rid of that bonding, it wont help you at all. Turn it off, reboot

Then: look below (or, depending on your settings, on a different tab)

grafik.thumb.png.d86c900f943ad4c2a21ddc8f780ed169.png

Here you will see the MAC addresses of all NICs (should be 4 in your case).

Move the one with your cable to "eth0" (and maybe resort the others too). reboot.

Your current "LAN 3" will become "LAN 1" with this.

You now will have the main lan on your desired card, without any bonding.

Edited by MAM59

Thank you. That got rid of the bond. Do I need the bridge "bro"?  It is my understanding that it is for VMs and Docker but I am not setting those up yet and I would like to disable it.  I don't want to disable it and then not be able to get to the server though.