Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA for $88.19 delivered

nemloc

I've never heard of superbiiz..  Are they reputable?

Yes, I get most of the SASLP card for my customer builds from Superbiiz

and is $88 for that card a good deal or a great deal?  I see Newegg has them for

$109 + $6 shipping but I haven't really been following to know if Newegg ever has it that cheap.

It is a good deal, not quite great in my opinion.

Off the top of your head..  What's the best price you've seen?

I need to expand my disks soon but I don't have anymore SATA ports.. this looks like a decent card for the buck.  Probably better then the 2x SATA PCIe 1x card I have...

This is one of the lowest prices I have seen for this card, grab it if you need it.  I don't think I have ever seen it cheaper at Newegg then what Superbiiz usually has it for.

Thanks for all the reassurance!  I just pulled the trigger for one...  and a cable at cablematters..

Now I just have to find space in the box for one more drive!  Might be time to pull the trigger on a new server case too!  I think I can fit one more in..  but it won't have good cooling!

I beleive that the SASLP2 is an x8 card.  Depending on your motherboard, you may not be able to support 2 of them.  I have an x8 controller (that I run in my x16 slot), and an SASLP that I run in my x4 slot.  Although I think you can melt the back of the slot and install an x8 card on an x4 slot, components may be on the motherboard that would be in the way.

Just something to think about as you plan your array for expansion.

I beleive that the SASLP2 is an x8 card.  Depending on your motherboard, you may not be able to support 2 of them. 

That's a good point.

I have a MBD-X8SIL-F-O.  (And I love it)

It has two x8 slots, so that gets me to 22 drives (only have room for 20 in my server)...  But quite frankly once the 4 TB drives are out, I'll have room for 76TB of data in one box, which should be adequate :)

I'll have room for 76TB of data in one box, which should be adequate :)

Bite your tongue there young man  ;D;)

Should be adequate and are adequate are 2 different things; and we all know that that we can never have 2 much space on our servers.

What worries me most - even with the 6-8TB of data I have now...  Is a catastrophic failure - or a fire, or someone breaking in and stealing or trashing my equipment.

There are no easy (or inexpensive) ways to backup massive amounts of data to a tape drive, and keep a copy elsewhere.

I'll have room for 76TB of data in one box, which should be adequate :)

Bite your tongue there young man  ;D;)

Should be adequate and are adequate are 2 different things; and we all know that that we can never have 2 much space on our servers.

What worries me most - even with the 6-8TB of data I have now...  Is a catastrophic failure - or a fire, or someone breaking in and stealing or trashing my equipment.

There are no easy (or inexpensive) ways to backup massive amounts of data to a tape drive, and keep a copy elsewhere.

Thats why you convince the finance committee to approve the building of another unRAID server offsite.  You sync everything up locally and then move the backup server to the other location.

It takes a breakout cable.  Forward breakout if you want to connect to the drives directly or to a drive cage (such as the Norco SS-500).  If you are using one of the Norco rackmount cases (4220 or 4224) then you will use miniSAS cables instead.  See my prototypes thread (link in my sig) for links to each type of cable.

I beleive that the SASLP2 is an x8 card.  Depending on your motherboard, you may not be able to support 2 of them.  I have an x8 controller (that I run in my x16 slot), and an SASLP that I run in my x4 slot.  Although I think you can melt the back of the slot and install an x8 card on an x4 slot, components may be on the motherboard that would be in the way.

Just something to think about as you plan your array for expansion.

If you do this use a riser card. Then you can melt the riser card and not the MB slot. This will also avoid any components that may otherwise be in the way.

Since the second generation is already available (SAS2LP) it is certainly possible that the SASLP will be discontinued soon.  However, I haven't heard anything to indicate that, so I can only speculate.  The second gen card hasn't been nearly as thoroughly tested as the first gen, so I'll be sticking with the SASLP as long as I can.

I don't think this particular sale is any indication of the SASLP reaching the end of its lifespan.  Superbiiz routinely has sales like this (roughly one per month), and the promo code ABCDEFG makes it pretty clear that this is a 'back to school' sale.