My first unRAID server build... with a bit of an obstacle:

bcboncs

Hi,

I am pretty much going by Raj's prototype 24 drive build for this unRAID server.  The only difference is that I switched up places to get certain items and have the price to $1,095 including the optional parts.  See the link: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao257e-cRMSzdDg3eEs1ZEJFS1JKQTNsTVRsUE1pRHc&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0

I did however come across one issue where this item is on backorder at monoprice:

1m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male to Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male Cable - Black

Every other website I stumble into seems to have this cable marked up 3-5 times what it is on monoprice.  Since I need 3 of these based on this build, would anyone happen to have any suggestions on where I can get it for nearly the same cost?

Edit:  Also, criticism is greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

I ran into the same problem, so I ordered these from e-bay.  They seem to be working great so far, and I was happy with the quality.

Edit - Just looked at your spreadsheet and I have a couple of comments.

Motherboard/CPU - For $20 more on the motherboard you can get a model that has IPMI (remote management) which means once it's configured, you never need to have a monitor/keyboard plugged into it.  Furthermore, that additional $20 buys you the latest socket (1155) and replaces a PCI slot with an additional PCIe (4x I believe) slot.  You can then get an i3-2100 instead of the i3's you listed.

RAM - Supermicro boards are notoriously picky when it comes to ram, just just make sure any ram you get is on their approved memory list

Fans - Why do you only have one 80mm fan when the board supports 2?  I would suggest you get 2.

I would suggest that you either look at my build (Athena) or Johnm's build (Goliath)

Spritzup:

The Supermicro X8SIL-F-O does have IPMI, so bcboncs isn't missing out on that.  The socket 1155 requires a more expensive processor, and it hasn't been tested with unRAID nearly as thoroughly.  I do like the latest Supermicro boards, but I think the X8SIL-F-O is still the best choice for unRAID at the moment simply because it has been so thoroughly tested.  In a couple of months I'll probably change my tune.

bcboncs:

If that RAM is on either Supermicro or Kingston's approved list for the motherboard, then it is fine.  If it isn't, then don't buy it.  The second 80mm fan is optional, but it doesn't hurt to have it.  Up to you.  The eBay cables that Spritzup linked should be fine.

Spritzup:

The Supermicro X8SIL-F-O does have IPMI, so bcboncs isn't missing out on that.  The socket 1155 requires a more expensive processor, and it hasn't been tested with unRAID nearly as thoroughly.  I do like the latest Supermicro boards, but I think the X8SIL-F-O is still the best choice for unRAID at the moment simply because it has been so thoroughly tested.  In a couple of months I'll probably change my tune.

bcboncs:

If that RAM is on either Supermicro or Kingston's approved list for the motherboard, then it is fine.  If it isn't, then don't buy it.  The second 80mm fan is optional, but it doesn't hurt to have it.  Up to you.  The eBay cables that Spritzup linked should be fine.

Raj,

You are correct on the IPMI, I skimmed the model number too quickly.  However, I must disagree with your suggestion to purchase already outdate parts on what is going to shape up to be a fairly expensive build.  Almost anyone looking to build a 24-drive server is probably not going to be looking to upgrade any time soon, so they should build with future proofing in mind.  Based on that, I think what I suggested is the best way to go.  Also, the 540's are becoming hard to find and the 550's and the 2100 are the same price.

Just my 2cents.

Spritz

The socket 1155 requires a more expensive processor, and it hasn't been tested with unRAID nearly as thoroughly.

I disagree with this statement. Xeons E3-12XX are cheaper and more powerful than 34XX series processors. With an i3, the setup is a few bucks cheaper with socket 1156, but IMHO 1155 setup worth the extra investment. I'm using a Supermicro X9SCM-F with a Xeon E3-1230 running v5 rock solid.

I think the concept of 'future-proofing' is out of place in the unRAID environment.  To buy 'future proof' components often means paying more for a brand new product that doesn't necessarily have all the bugs worked out.  Plus, nothing is truly future-proof.  Any hardware you buy today will be obsolete within a year or two anyway - but just because it is obsolete doesn't mean it needs replacing.  My style is to always buy the component that was top of the line last year.  That way I get a good price on a quality product, and I can be sure at least the major bugs are well documented.  Research is also much easier, since there will be far more information about the component.  This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.  Here's how I see this particular comparison:

Option 1:

i3-540 - $109 at Amazon

X8SIL-F-B - $170 at Superbiiz (this is the bulk model of the X8SIL-F-O, so it doesn't come in retail packaging, but it is the same product)

Total: $279

Option 2:

i3-2100 - $125 at Amazon

X9SCM-F-O - $178 at Superbiiz

Total: $303

I shopped around at Newegg, Amazon, and Superbiiz for the above prices (and did not include shipping or tax, since they will vary).  Possibly some of these items can be found cheaper elsewhere.  Both Option 1 and Option 2 have IPMI and will have identical performance in unRAID.  Power consumption will be very similar.  Both processors are fast enough to run any unRAID add-on currently available.  The i3-2100 is a bit faster, but in my opinion negligibly so.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, people have been running unRAID on the Option 1 hardware for over a year with no problems.  The Option 2 hardware has only been available for about 6 months.  Why pay more for Option 2 when Option 1 will work just as well and is more common in the unRAID community?

I agree with Raj,

Heck I'm running the old school budget build. Sure the mobo might be dated, but for now which I'm using it for it works great. Later if/when I upgrade its my hardware that I'm upgrading not my data.

My motto has always been buy affordable and buy what works. If your buying a gammer then well you better buy todays tech. LOL

I appreciate all of the input and suggestions.

Do you think either of these programs will also have enough processor power to run sickbeard, couchpotato, and sabnzbd+ on top of unRAID?

The programs shouldn't be too processor-dependent I wouldn't think.  Please, your thoughts?

Do you think either of these programs will also have enough processor power to run sickbeard, couchpotato, and sabnzbd+ on top of unRAID?

The programs shouldn't be too processor-dependent I wouldn't think.  Please, your thoughts?

Yes, either Option 1 or Option 2 as I outlined above will have plenty of power to run all of those add-ons.  The new Celerons that bcbgboy13 mentioned may also work, but some add-ons will benefit from a dual core processor.

The programs shouldn't be too processor-dependent I wouldn't think.  Please, your thoughts?

Yes, either Option 1 or Option 2 as I outlined above will have plenty of power to run all of those add-ons.  The new Celerons that bcbgboy13 mentioned may also work, but some add-ons will benefit from a dual core processor.

They are dual core.

However I am not sure if they have all the bell and whistles for virtualization.

And they are unconfirmed reports that they support ECC with ECC chipset.

The socket 1155 requires a more expensive processor, and it hasn't been tested with unRAID nearly as thoroughly.

I disagree with this statement. Xeons E3-12XX are cheaper and more powerful than 34XX series processors. With an i3, the setup is a few bucks cheaper with socket 1156, but IMHO 1155 setup worth the extra investment. I'm using a Supermicro X9SCM-F with a Xeon E3-1230 running v5 rock solid.

Out of curiosity, does the i3-540 not work really well with the v5?  I'd like to be somewhat scalable for the future but if I can get by not upgrading, I don't have a problem with that either.

Any sort of charts to compare the two by any chance?

Edit: Also, with the three aforementioned programs (Sickbeard, Sabnzbd+, CouchPotato) what size USB flash drive would you recommend?

Out of curiosity, does the i3-540 not work really well with the v5?  I'd like to be somewhat scalable for the future but if I can get by not upgrading, I don't have a problem with that either.

Any sort of charts to compare the two by any chance?

Edit: Also, with the three aforementioned programs (Sickbeard, Sabnzbd+, CouchPotato) what size USB flash drive would you recommend?

A 4GB flash drive should be large enough.  The applications are not actually installed to the flash drive.

Hm, is that the case for all add-ons as well?

Most yes,  The root file system (i.e. unRAID) is run from RAM so some things are installed there.  But most app files are downloaded to the flash drive but are not installed to the flash drive.  Most don't or won't run from the flash drive.

I have a 2GB flash drive in my test server and 2 other 4GB drives for my production and burning server.  The 2GB is maybe able half full and it has a lot of different files on it, including multiple versions of unRAID.

All versions of unRAID will run equally well on either processor.  I'm not sure what you mean by scalable.  If you want to be able to replace or upgrade your processor in a year or two then the socket 1155 option is better, as that is the newer socket type.  However, as I mentioned before, anything you buy today will be obsolete or close to it by that time anyway.

Raj,

I think I am just going to go with the original list that is pretty much yours.  I did notice that I took the exact model number of the RAM and it was not compatible with the motherboard that you recommended though so you may want to update your list a little.

I am now trying to figure out if I should do Registered ECC vs Unbuffered ECC RAM.  Anyone have any ideas?

This is the RAM that I recommend pairing with the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O:

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G

Lucky for you, it just came down in price (now $40, used to be $55).  I know that RAM isn't on Supermicro's compatibility list, but it is on Kingston's compatibility list for that motherboard.  I've used it in countless servers and it has been flawless every time.

This is the RAM that I recommend pairing with the Supermicro X8SIL-F-O:

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G

Lucky for you, it just came down in price (now $40, used to be $55).  I know that RAM isn't on Supermicro's compatibility list, but it is on Kingston's compatibility list for that motherboard.  I've used it in countless servers and it has been flawless every time.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH okay... I see.  I was looking at it the other way around.  Love you dot com.

Making my purchase now.

One last final question so I don't have to bug anyone else for eternity:  What is the native OS unRAID is run on?  I'm thinking some form of linux?  I basically want to know so I can look up how to share directories.

Thanks all I appreciate it.

One last final question so I don't have to bug anyone else for eternity:  What is the native OS unRAID is run on?  I'm thinking some form of linux?  I basically want to know so I can look up how to share directories.

Thanks all I appreciate it.

unRAID is an OS itself.  It is based off of Slackware linux.

Archived