Shares, some help please :P

Sorry for the cheesy title but I am having an issue with Shares.

I am now on my 2nd attempt of 14tb data migration. The first one 'failed' as krusader crashed and as the data was split across drives I didn't know how to check what data had transferred ( I am a noobie) . On my most recent attempt I thought I was being smart by basically transferring one unassigned disk at a time directly to a single disk on the array thinking that I could then update the my share with all of the disk. The transfer went well, however, when I went to update the share to include all the disks the data would not show for all the disks?

I am stuck and feeling a little stressed at the thought of having to start all over AGAIN :(

Is there an easy fix so that I can either merge shares or create a new one with all the disks and data showing? I would appreciate any help you can offer. This is for my dad and I just want him to be able to view all the data across all the disk from one share in windows.

Thanks for reading :) 

chrome_TkkXKB0Nf6.thumb.png.03cbda7211bdc754b5c346863d65ea36.pngchrome_f5QVSUATXc.thumb.png.7e050f85032ec361c938266fc8ffbf97.pngchrome_sQgKESNBvg.thumb.png.aeb23a79c3a38a030829c91f6310011d.png

9 minutes ago, mrmint said:

when I went to update the share to include all the disks the data would not show for all the disks?

Can you expand on that? Shares are just all top levels folder, e.g., if you have a folder called Movies on disks 1 and 2 any data there would be part of the Movies share.

Sure, so when I add the share it only shows the data from one disk not all of them even though I change the share to include all disk once I had finished the data migration. 

Attached you can see me adding the SM B share but once I do I am only seeing one disk worth of space instead of all 4. 

Thanks for the help

explorer_6McLTvbfH3.png

explorer_3Muz3jI6kc.png

If the folder exists on multiple disks then it is automatically a share of that name covering those disks.  

you have not shown anything that shows the folder for the ‘data’ share currently exists on any drive except disk3.   If you were using Krusader to move the files then you also need to check that permissions are correct (if not use Tools->New Permissions) as files with the wrong permissions may not be visible over the network.

Sorry, I am a noob.

I didn't use krusader on the second attempt. I used Dynamix. My work flow was simple I copied all the folders from a 4tb unassigned disk and pasted them to a empty 4tb disk on the array. 

How can I create a share that will show all the data from all the disk. Or should I delete the array and start the transfer again. I was hoping there would be an easy fix in unraid. 

Just now, mrmint said:

I didn't use krusader on the second attempt. I used Dynamix. My work flow was simple I copied all the folders from a 4tb unassigned disk and pasted them to a empty 4tb disk on the array.

you do not indicate to where on the disk you copied the data :( 

If you copied the files to a folder on the disk that had the name of the share you wanted it to be part off then that should have happened automatically.   If not you can simply move the data into a folder with the name of the share and it will show up as part of that share

OK I think we might be getting somewhere.

SO for examples sake I coped the folder on the unsigned drive using Dynamix over to the root of the disk 1. Are you telling me I can fix my problem by creating a folder in disk one called 'data' and the moving the 'elements_A' folder into it? If so that sound simple. How would a noob create a folder? Preferably with a GUI ? :D

chrome_SBGtRMkEyz.thumb.png.5e6edf0b34ac8b882e90bd61df05889a.png

chrome_TmNlWScv11.thumb.png.6b60348868a7760ecf2ebbb43d435481.png

ok so I have tried using the terminal ( so brave ) and created a folder on disk 1 called 'data' using these commands :

cd /mnt/disk1
mkdir data

then I have used Dynamix to move the data I transferred from the unassigned disk into this new folder.  It is currently in progress but I am a little unsure why it wasn't instantaneous... have I done it the correct way? 

chrome_HiX8LR9jZE.png.7a9e3381ef2927a4f0bdd9e28d38affe.png

14 minutes ago, mrmint said:

then I have used Dynamix to move the data I transferred from the unassigned disk into this new folder.  It is currently in progress but I am a little unsure why it wasn't instantaneous... have I done it the correct way? 

it looks like Dynamix is using a copy/delete strategy rather than a move.   This is always the safest strategy, but I thought the latest version of the Dynamix `file Manager recognised when it could use move instead, but maybe I am wrong.   You are right that if using a move it would be virtually instantaneous.

So it looks like this will work. Shortly after I started the move the folder appeared in the SMB share and the share size increased. I had an idea can I just rename the folder to 'data' to save the steps I am using above? Thanks again

7 minutes ago, mrmint said:

So it looks like this will work. Shortly after I started the move the folder appeared in the SMB share and the share size increased. I had an idea can I just rename the folder to 'data' to save the steps I am using above? Thanks again

The rename would work if you had done it immediately.    You will not be able to rename at the moment as the ‘data’ folder already exists.

11 minutes ago, mrmint said:

I have 3 other disks to do so I will do it for them and I will leave Dynamix to 'move' the data from one folder to another on this same disk.

You could create the target folder on the disks first, and then copy the data into them thus avoiding the move.

I did that one the first one, unless I am missing something?

A few posts above I said I created a folder on disk 1 called 'data' using these commands :

cd /mnt/disk1
mkdir data

then I used Dynamix to move the data to the new folder.

33 minutes ago, mrmint said:

I did that one the first one, unless I am missing something?

A few posts above I said I created a folder on disk 1 called 'data' using these commands :

cd /mnt/disk1
mkdir data

then I used Dynamix to move the data to the new folder.

If you want to move data to another drive in the same share then repeat that process there. 

2 minutes ago, mrmint said:

Sorry isn't that what I said? Starting to feel like I am being trolled :D

You said you did it on the first drive.   Was not sure you realised you would need to do it on other drives you treat the same way.

note that if you copy to the User Share ‘data’ instead of directly to a drive then Unraid will create the required folder automatically as required on other drives that are part of the share.

Yeah I said that I would do that above. Also copying to the share will surely be slower than renaming the folder. As I have figured out the hard way 'move' is copying then deleting  which so far has been running for 24hrs. What a waste. Once all this is done I write up a summary post so people can follow and save them from the pain I had to go through. Thanks for trying to help.

On 5/16/2023 at 8:11 PM, mrmint said:

Is there an easy way I can rename the folder?

DFM does not allow you to rename a share name.

Use the regular rename function under Shares to do this.

Renaming a share manually on a single disk will break that share if it exists on other disks as well!