UnRAID on Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI

Hi guys, do you think it is possible to connect the exisiting SlimSAS to a SAS expander card? I need to attach more devices but I would like to spare some watts of an HBA card, since most of the HDDs won't run at the same time (so bandwidth won't be an issue). Do you think it is possible?

5 hours ago, Daniel15 said:

fast boot can't handle booting from USB for whatever reason.

The reason, btw, is because fast boot achieves its speediness by only enabling core hardware and features for POST and leaving everything else to the OS. 

Some of this "unnecessary" functionality that doesn't get loaded includes USB booting. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I recently got this motherboard as well and i've ran into a couple of questions that i'm unable to figure out on my own. (most other questions have been answered in this topic, thanks!)

How do the power and reset switches work? do i have to choose to control the power via IPMI OR the power/reset buttons on the chassi? can i not do both somehow?

I just didn't read the instructions clearly and skimmed over the CHA section 😂

Is it possible to disable the IPMI webui session timeout?

unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible.
image.png.d747b5e451f162c07bb0ec9dad0a8eb3.png

Has anyone successfully connected 4 sata drives with a SAS backplane with a reverse breakout cable to the 4 SATA ports on the motherboard? i'm wondering if my cables are junk or if the SAS backplane of my chassi is incompatible (somehow)

Edited by MammothJerk
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, MammothJerk said:

How do the power and reset switches work? do i have to choose to control the power via IPMI OR the power/reset buttons on the chassi? can i not do both somehow?

The IPMI card has pins for both plugging into the motherboard header pins, as well as passing through to the case buttons. You don't lose functionality, depending on the size of your case you might need extensions though. I ended up making some longer cables so I could cable manage them. 

Edited by fredskis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, MammothJerk said:

You will have both. The PWR and RST wires from your case/chassis' I/O plug into the IPMI card, where two other wires are then connected to the motherboard's PWR and RST pins.

I can't currently check to answer your other questions.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, muddro said:

Didn't see this, but for those have KVM + igpu issues, make sure you change under the IPMI tab to linux in line drivers. At least that worked for TrueNAS.

Can you please provide a screenshot of this setting? 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, fredskis said:

image.png.d8005fcdcd52fe9344ce08de4cac096a.png

Just to confirm, this is the mATX version of the board?

These boards are similar enough that it makes it difficult for morons like me to figure out which one is being discussed and I think a lot of you have the mATX version.

My screenshot was from the ATX sized WS W680-ACE IPMI where the IPMI card is a separate add-in card that occupies a PCI-e slot and needs to be wired in to front panel headers, power, etc (ugly). Seems they're not so comparable to the built-in mATX version though if these differences exist?

Have you got the latest BIOS?

Edit: actually, going by your screenshot, seems you've got the same version as me. Hmm. 

Edited by fredskis