We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Disk-Clear question

Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

I recently cleared, formatted to xfs and added to the array a new WD 8T drive.  I just noticed after I started a copy to the new drive that it showed a space usage of 55G.  Anyone have any idea how I would have that much disk usage after a 'clear' and format, before I sent data to it?  Disk-Clear doesn't actually take up disk space does it?

Thanks for the help.

V

Edited by veemann
grammer.
  • Solution
43 minutes ago, veemann said:

Anyone have any idea how I would have that much disk usage after a 'clear' and format,

Some additional featuers (such as reflink) were added to XFS a while ago that results in more space being used when initializing the filesystem with a format.  55G for an 8TB drive is not unusual.

48 minutes ago, veemann said:

cleared, formatted to xfs and added to the array

Did you really do it in this order? The correct sequence would be clear, add to array, then format. Only a clear disk can be added to an array that already has valid parity. If you format a disk before adding it, it is no longer clear and Unraid has to clear it again so parity remains valid (and then you would have to format it again).

7 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Some additional featuers (such as reflink) were added to XFS a while ago that results in more space being used when initializing the filesystem with a format.  55G for an 8TB drive is not unusual.

Ok thanks for the response.  That stuff is over my head so if you says that's not unusual, I will take your word for it.

3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Think of disk format like a filing cabinet system with card catalog. Even when it's totally empty, all the organizational structures still take up space, and the more features supported by the file system, the more space it occupies even when empty of file contents.

Ah-ha!  Makes sense.

Thanks for that.

V