Exclusive Access - 6.12 - ZFS

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I installed Unraid 6.12 here is an exclusive access option for shares.  Previously I was on a 6.12RC version and the option was there as well but I didn't enable at the time my share was created.  Since I'm completely on ZFS I would like to take advantage of this capability, but it's greyed out on the share.  Is there a way I can enable this without losing my data?  Has anyone ran into this yet?

Lastly, I only have a primary ZFS storage defined for the share, no secondary storage.

Edited by deliverer
  • Solution
7 minutes ago, deliverer said:

I installed Unraid 6.12 here is an exclusive access option for shares.  Previously I was on a 6.12RC version and the option was there as well but I didn't enable at the time my share was created.  Since I'm completely on ZFS I would like to take advantage of this capability, but it's greyed out on the share.  Is there a way I can enable this without losing my data?  Has anyone ran into this yet?

Lastly, I only have a primary ZFS storage defined for the share, no secondary storage.

Likely array would need to be stopped to change as global setting.

13 minutes ago, deliverer said:

Is there a way I can enable this without losing my data? 

Enabling this will not affect data.  As was mentioned it first needs to be enabled at the global level before you can activate it for individual shares.  Even then it will only work if the share really DOES only have file on the pool.

12 minutes ago, deliverer said:

I thought there were a lot of performance benefits with ZFS based on the release notes if you are only using ZFS as the primary storage with no secondary storage?

That is true (and you also get performance benefits for other pool types) due to by-passing the Fuse overheads of supporting User Shares.  However if by any chance you have a top level folder with the same name as the share on any other pool or array drive then the Exclusive mode will not be available.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is not /mnt/user that points to the pool, but folders within /mnt/user that correspond to exclusive shares.  This is expected behaviour.

The share where exclusive mode is not working is "appdata". No secondary storage is set

I did a search and don't see any other folders with that name; just the one.  Driving me crazy as I can't figure it out.

root@MEDIA01:/mnt# find / -name appdata*
/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/appdata.backup
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/appdata-validate
find: ‘/sys/kernel/slab’: Input/output error
find: ‘/proc/25721’: No such file or directory
/mnt/user/appdata
find: failed to read

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth trying something like

ls -d /mnt/*/appdata

to see what shows up.

root@MEDIA01:/boot/config/modprobe.d# ls -d /mnt/*/appdata
/mnt/user/appdata/  /mnt/zfs_media/appdata/  /mnt/zfs_mirror/appdata/

there it is.  sorry I know this is basic linux stuff but sometimes I struggle even though I've been playing with linux for years.

/mnt/zfs_media/appdata/ <---That is the culprit