Brand new HDD went into "Error State" during a Unraid Data-Rebuild

So I replaced a WD Red HDD in my unraid setup after a HDD went bad and had to be RMA'd.

I left the system doing the Unraid Data-Rebuild and went to sleep. When I woke up the next day it seems that halfway (55.8%) through the rebuild it stopped and the new drive had the status "Device Disabled, Content's Emulated". Since this was the status of the  new HDD(68B0AN0_VH004PAM) that I was replacing with the new drive I checked Alerts/Warnings/Notices and found this under warning:

Event - Unraid array errors     

Disk 2 - WDC_WD101EFBX-68B0AN0_VH004PAM (sdf) (errors 1024)

Subject - Warning [TROJANCARABAO] -

Description - array has errorsArray has 1 disk with read errors

Importance - warning

Also I check Scrutiny which I had running and it said that the HDD was throwing this 

Power-off Retract Count 12%

I tried checking running as short SMART Self Test on the HDD but it wouldn't start. Since the error was Power-off Retract Count I tried replugging the SATA power (sorry was panicking at this point).

This allowed the new HDD to show up on the Unassigned Devices "68B0AN0_VH004PAM" but clicking the mount button would spin it up. I'd hear the drive start to spin up, but then fail to start and the mount button would refresh to the mount state.

I'm currently at a loss as my Data Rebuild can't continue at this rate and I've never had to to a restart, etc. during a Data rebuild or do a Data Rebuild for that matter this is my first time.

Total size:10 TB

Elapsed time:21 minutes (paused)

Current position:5.58 TB (55.8 %)

Estimated speed:---

Estimated finish:Unknown

Read errors corrected:0

Since I can't do a SMART self test I'll attach my Diagnostics and the screenshot of the drive stats from scrutiny and then just pray someone replies soon.

image.thumb.png.96ffe16837c3aa24bf1b5568c05b1be6.png

trojancarabao-diagnostics-20230718-1218.zip

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I do. Should I stop the data rebuild and run the preclear first? Usually it does but for some reason it didn't this time. I assumed it was because the data rebuild initiated right away.

Also if I stop the data rebuild to do the preclear can I restart it after? Also where can I go to do that?

Sorry, I'm in mid freak out over here. 10TB HDD are expensive here in the Philippines and every time my NAS freaks out I feel like I've just set a whole bunch on money on fire.

How do I do the preclear? I can't even mount the drive anymore from unassigned devices.

Edited by Nanuk_

I can't seem to stop the array or cancel the data rebuild. I tried the reboot button but it errored out. The Spin Down button doesn't work either. Should I just hard reset the NAS?

Ah yes the cache, sorry about that. This is my first NAS and I spent most of the budget on the HDDs. The cache was supposed to be a bunch of SDDs I had lying around but they got bricked. I'm starting to thing the HBA I'm using is the culprit. Finding a reliable source of HBA vendors over here in the PH has been difficult for me.

Edited by Nanuk_

That is on the link.

So it's not possible to substitute it with the sdf at the end of the drive name?image.png.26a57d4ec0990e3954f5e140756306d9.png

xfs_repair -v /dev/sdf

Unless I have to us that "md1" system. I have no clue to to look that up in my system.

image.thumb.png.cc2bf5c792da578a37479a08c95ab9ea.png

I tried it but it didn't work. Can you help a brother out?

xfs_repair -v /dev/md2 

image.png.838ec9203fc3d67a51eb47cb692ef355.png

Can you help me out please?

Edited by Nanuk_
5 minutes ago, Nanuk_ said:

That is on the link.

So it's not possible to substitute it with the sdf at the end of the drive name?image.png.26a57d4ec0990e3954f5e140756306d9.png

xfs_repair -v /dev/sdf

Unless I have to us that "md1" system. I have no clue to to look that up in my system.

image.thumb.png.cc2bf5c792da578a37479a08c95ab9ea.png

I tried it but it didn't work. Can you help a brother out?

xfs_repair -v /dev/md2 

image.png.838ec9203fc3d67a51eb47cb692ef355.png

Can you help me out please?

Normally one would run this from the GUI so you do not select the wrong device name by clicking on the drive on the Main tab.

With the 6.12.x releases you now have to include the partition number even with the ‘md’ devices (e.g. /dev/md2p1).    The documentation on running via the CLI needs updating to reflect this.

3 minutes ago, Nanuk_ said:

It was a new HDD and in the middle of doing a data-rebuild. Is just reformatting it and preclearing it then trying a data-rebuild an option?

No.  

A data rebuild overwrites every sector so any format or Preclear done outside the array is irrelevant.  

If you try to format the drive while it is being emulated then you wipe its contents and update parity to reflect this do the contents are lost.

See there in lies my problem that was a new HDD to replace one that I had to RMA and halfway through the data rebuild it crapped out. So the rebuild didn't even finish. 

So do I let the xfs_repair which apparently I am using wrong finish then figure out how to restart the data-rebuild? Are those my next steps.
xfs_repair -v /dev/sdf

Sorry if I sound irrate, thanks for the help. I'm just having a monumentally bad month.

38 minutes ago, Nanuk_ said:

Can I ask how I can look up the  partition number even with the ‘md’ devices (e.g. /dev/md2p1)?

It is always partition 1 in current Unraid releases.    I think the addition of the p1 to the md devices in the current 6.12 releases is in preparation for allowing other partition numbers, particularly with ZFS where such file systems created on other systems are often on partition 2.

3 minutes ago, Nanuk_ said:

Cool! Thanks for the update I'll try that!

By the way how to I restart the partition rebuild though? I was halfway through when this drive threw a monkey wrench into the whole process.

• Stop array
  • Unassign drive 
  • Start array to make Unraid 'forget' assignment
  • Stop array
  • Assign drive
  • Start array to initiate the rebuild