Parity device disabled

14 minutes ago, Deagarys said:

I read in another thread to stop array unassign the disk start it, stop the array re assign it and start it again.
This did not fix the issue.

This process should work and make Unraid start rebuilding the parity.    Can you please repeat the steps and at the end if it is still not fixed take new diagnostics so we can see what was happening at each stage.

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This process should work and make Unraid start rebuilding the parity.    Can you please repeat the steps and at the end if it is still not fixed take new diagnostics so we can see what was happening at each stage.

So this time doing it next to the start array it actually showed it will start a data rebuild.

But i got a error that parity disk is in error state and nothing happened. Hopefully you can see the problem in the diagnostics @itimpi

tower-diagnostics-20230731-0005.zip

Edited by Deagarys

Ok, got logged into mine and did a step by step for what I was attempting to convey.  Passing to you exactly what I intended and see. Sorry its ugly cause I'm lazy and copy/pasted from notes I was taking.

Stop array

Set parity drive to ‘no device’

Scroll down, see this:
Start will disable the missing disk and then bring the array on-line. Install a replacement disk as soon as possible.
Yes, I want to do this

Click Yes and then Start.

Array started with no parity.

Stop array again.

Assign my initial disk to the parity position.

Scroll down

Start array.  (Start will Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild)

In about a day and a half, I expect my parity to be rebuilt.

Hope this helps.  It's all I got to offer.

11 minutes ago, Veah said:

Ok, got logged into mine and did a step by step for what I was attempting to convey.  Passing to you exactly what I intended and see. Sorry its ugly cause I'm lazy and copy/pasted from notes I was taking.

Stop array

Set parity drive to ‘no device’

Scroll down, see this:
Start will disable the missing disk and then bring the array on-line. Install a replacement disk as soon as possible.
Yes, I want to do this

Click Yes and then Start.

Array started with no parity.

Stop array again.

Assign my initial disk to the parity position.

Scroll down

Start array.  (Start will Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild)

In about a day and a half, I expect my parity to be rebuilt.

Hope this helps.  It's all I got to offer.

Following your steps,

Once unassigned parity disk i do not get this message (i expect this is because my disk is already disabled)
I start array with unassigned parity disk, stop it again and assign the parity disk. start it again. it shows this next to the start button: (Start will Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild)

I get these notifications:
image.png.182d3c1add7991b33c0dfd5cb1f408f3.png

And it does not start any rebuild process nor a parity-sync process.

Once again new diagnostics:

tower-diagnostics-20230731-0025.zip

(I really appreciate you actually doing the steps on your machine!)

Edited by Deagarys
19 minutes ago, Deagarys said:

So this time doing it next to the start array it actually showed it will start a data rebuild.

But i got a error that parity disk is in error state and nothing happened. Hopefully you can see the problem in the diagnostics @itimpi

tower-diagnostics-20230731-0005.zip 145.52 kB · 3 downloads

The diagnostics show resets on the parity disk followed by write errors which is why it was disabled.

Are you sure your PSU is up to handling the drives?   The resets looked like they could be cabling errors (SATA or power) so. Heck that carefully.   You could run an extended SMART test on the drive to test its health.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The diagnostics show resets on the parity disk followed by write errors which is why it was disabled.

Are you sure your PSU is up to handling the drives?   The resets looked like they could be cabling errors (SATA or power) so. Heck that carefully.   You could run an extended SMART test on the drive to test its health.

i have a completely new 550watt psu in there i have no gpu just a i5 processor. Should be able to handle 6 disks.

Was just looking at the drive log more... 12 power on hours and 

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK   197   193   000    -    40;

you might have a lemon.  I dont think drives bounce back from cyclic redundancy check errors, but maybe I'm wrong. 

The other looks fine.

Go into your diagnostic, under SMART, then open up both the ST4000DMxyz files side by side.  You will see the columns I see and you can compare them side by side.

*edit: CRC is basically the worst thing you can see in a HDD*

Edited by Veah
1 hour ago, Deagarys said:

I see the CRC error so i will definitely return the disk.

1 hour ago, Veah said:

I dont think drives bounce back from cyclic redundancy check errors, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, wrong.

CRCs are not drive problems, they are connection problems. No reason to think the disk is bad.

2 hours ago, Veah said:

Remove the parity drive.  Add it back and be sure it has the format disk option button/warning when you enable the array.

Just thought I would comment on this earlier bit.

Parity has no format since it has no filesystem. You can't format a disk in the parity slot.

Just to elaborate on UDMA CRC errors.

The drive firmware performs a checksum on received data, and if the checksum fails, it logs a UDMA CRC error. The data is resent so often there is no consequence, but frequent CRC errors means you need to fix the connection.

And, bad connections won't always result in CRC errors, since the drive receives no data to perform the checksum on.