Can't trigger rebuild with encrypted filesystem and only the parity drive left

Hi,

i'm running a 2x 4TB setup, one on them being parity. Disk 1 is XFS encrypted. I noticed, that after a few hours Disk 1 would disable itself (Device missing, contents emulated). As it was somewhat older, i quickly replaced it with a brand new WD Red. This was no big issue, as it was only up for testing anyways, so i've completely reinstalled Unraid at this point.

However the new drive has recently shown the same issue -> I guess it was a faulty SATA / power cable. Cables are reattached, the drive is most likely okay.

As the disks are already filled this time, i would like to rebuild the drive and go on.. My problem is, that i can not start the array (normal or maintence mode) either with both disks or just the parity. The footer line tells me that the encryption key is missing, however it won't prompt me for one as it usually does.

How can i get a clean rebuild from parity on Disk 1? I'm concerned with formatting Disk 1 within Unraid, as i've read that even in emulation parity will rewrite as-is.

Thank you for any help!

Best regards

dennker

# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       523         -

However, my initial problem persists. I can not get the array running. GUI tells me "Start will bring the array on-line and start Data-Rebuild." However nothing happens, even after

a day the drive remains emulated and encrypted. "28-08-2023 21:58 - Notice [TOMB] - Disk 1, is being reconstructed and is available for normal operation"

Bottom line says encryption key is missing, but its not prompting me for anything.

How do i get my shares working again?

I've not altered anything except Community + Dynamix File Manager plugin.

Even when i start in maintenance mode, there is just no text field for the password as usual.

This it how it looks like (yellow triangle says "contents emulated").

Start or Start with maintenance mode checked just reloads the page.

unraidscreen.JPG

BTW: Thanks for the help!

Edited by dennker

After i've lost all hope, i went savage and formatted the data drive via webgui to some other fileformat than XFS. Only then i was able to get the array in maintenance mode and it prompted me the first time for "Data rebuild". Right now its running - let's see what it recovers..

One quick and last update for the poor googler that will stumble upon this eventually:

I did not format the drive of course, however changing file systems on disk 1 gave me finally the option to rebuild. After rebuilding had finished, it then - and only then - asked me to format the drive. I then changed it back to XFS encrypted and it actually prompted me for the encryption key. Shares were gone at first, but after a clean reboot and with the encryption key, everything came back.

So not sure what went wrong, but that's the way it fixed it for me.