Recurring Unclear Shutdown Problems on Unraid Server

If I want to update, restart, or stop the array on my Unraid server, it always results in an unclear shutdown. This happened again when I was trying to update to the latest version, 6.12.4. As a precaution, I had already stopped all the Docker containers, but it didn't help. In the bottom left corner, I see the message: "retry unmounting disks," and I recall reading somewhere that it might be related to /mnt/user.

I had read on the internet that this could happen if there's an SSH session open or something similar, but as far as I know, that's not the case.

I wouldn't know what else to do since my knowledge in this area is quite limited. I'm hoping someone can provide insight into why this is happening. I've attached the system logs.

Thank you in advance!

syslog-192.168.68.61.log

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 12:07 PM, JorgeB said:

I don't see any attempt to stop the array in the log posted, try stopping the array and post the diagnostics.

Excuse me for the late response, I wanted to avoid stopping the array for as long as possible but I had to because my docker img. was running full.

And again I'm still stuck with the Array Stopping•Retry unmounting user share(s)...

Attached the diagnostics

cappiserver-diagnostics-20230921-1542.zip

17 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You have something preventing /mnt/user from unmounting, and it's not the docker or libvirt images, so likely something external to Unraid is using, check that you don't have any CLI/SSH window opened to /mnt/user

Yes that's what I have been looking into, but I wouldn't know where to look anymore. I turned off all my devices, I turned off my modem and router but it still won't work.

This happens every time I need to shutdown my array and a shutdown will make me do the parity check all over again every time :/

I'm out of ideas

17 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try stopping the docker and VM services before stopping the array to confirm that's not the issue.

Thats the first thing I do, stop all the dockers one by one and disable docker. As for the VM I did not, not that I am using any VM. But the status of both docker and VM is "Stopped".

I will surrender now and press the "reboot' button which will probably not work since it can't unmount and then go for the hard reboot :)..

11 minutes ago, feins said:

The Plugin is up to date.

Should i uninstall the parity check plugin?

No.  The plugin will never cause an unclean shutdown to happen but it simply tries to make it obvious when it happens.

The message is correct if a parity check started.   Have you looked at the section of the documentation that the notification suggests you look at.

30 minutes ago, itimpi said:

No.  The plugin will never cause an unclean shutdown to happen but it simply tries to make it obvious when it happens.

The message is correct if a parity check started.   Have you looked at the section of the documentation that the notification suggests you look at.

Where is the Troubleshooting online doc?

16 minutes ago, feins said:

Where is the Troubleshooting online doc?

The online documentation is accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.  The You want to go to Unraid OS ->Manual->Troubleshooting section for guidance on Unclean shutdowns.

• Thanks 1
On 9/30/2023 at 7:00 PM, itimpi said:

The online documentation is accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.  The You want to go to Unraid OS ->Manual->Troubleshooting section for guidance on Unclean shutdowns.

Oooh that User guild i was thinking there a troubleshooting guide for the plugin itself.

Ok i've just add some time out for my Docker and System shutdown since i don't use any VM.

Ive also attach the Diagnostic Log, maybe you could pinpoint what might be the case that cause the Unclean Shutdown.

ts-p500-diagnostics-20230930-1809.zip

5 hours ago, feins said:

Ive also attach the Diagnostic Log, maybe you could pinpoint what might be the case that cause the Unclean Shutdown.

The syslog in the diagnostics only shows what happened since the last boot.  You should enable the syslog server (probably with the option to Mirror to Flash set) to get a syslog that survives a reboot so we can see what leads up to a crash.  If using the mirror option the syslog file is stored in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive.