Ideas for unraid

Kilack

These aren't feature requests yet, just curious what others thing of these ideas though.

1)  unraid obviously takes up a whole machine, and these days cpu's are so fast and unraid uses so little of them that it seems a waste of a machine really.

With that in mind, would it be worth having versions of unraid that come with a full blown install of linux that can be installed to disk. (i know there are hacks to get this working)

Then we could run other processes etc and take far more advantage of the machine.

2) If 1 was an option, then I wonder how easy it would be to move unraid over to a more modern linux distro such as debian or ubuntu server?  

Some people obviously prefer to just have NAS and nothing more but it would be awesome if it was an option.  Obviously demand for it because of all the addons in unmenu etc but it would be far nicer with a full distro.

I've been cycling between unRAID, FreeNAS, Amahi and other home server / nas options trying to find the besty fit. None are the 100% solution so I've settled on unRAID for now because its was the easiest and quickest.

I'd love an unRAID marriage with an Amahi like concept. A home server that I could add dns, dhcp, lamp services easy. Packages like sab,sb,cp,trans etc through a simple point and click. Automated backup scripts for pc, replication to other devices.

When I had more free time I would have enjoyed playing and tweeking. But with a demand that any new investment have some high WAF and that it doesn't hide me from the family.

But for now unRAID is what I have based my home setup on. I just hope my kid doesn't decide to play "hide the usb stick"

RE: point 1

When does a NAS become something else. The temptation is to keep extending your NAS to do more and more as it is usualy one of a handful of always on boxes. The problem is one of relaibilty. EVERY time you add something you increase maintenance and decrease potential uptime and increase potential data loss and decrease reliabilty.

A decade ago I was the exact same, I had one box to rule them all. Now experience has shown me the most valuable thing i can do to my NAS is nothing. Dont mess with it and unRAID will run longer than the MTBF of the hardware, Add more stuff and you will gradually see your time to fix things increase.

Thin of unRAID as an appliance not a distro.

RE: point 1

When does a NAS become something else. The temptation is to keep extending your NAS to do more and more as it is usualy one of a handful of always on boxes. The problem is one of relaibilty. EVERY time you add something you increase maintenance and decrease potential uptime and increase potential data loss and decrease reliabilty.

A decade ago I was the exact same, I had one box to rule them all. Now experience has shown me the most valuable thing i can do to my NAS is nothing. Dont mess with it and unRAID will run longer than the MTBF of the hardware, Add more stuff and you will gradually see your time to fix things increase.

Thin of unRAID as an appliance not a distro.

I partially agree.

I have installed Virtualbox with windows 7 on my unraid server, and under that VM I run my applications (torrent, etc...) - keeping applications as far away as possible from the unRAID OS and hardware but still keeping extra features.