All Disks Reading 5XX KBPS every 60 Seconds

Hey Folks, 

For some reason, even in safe mode with docker and VM systems shut down, my array is reading every 60 seconds. nothing shows in the logs that i can find, either in the system or the disks. I have no idea what is causing it. It is always around the same size (536-545kbps), and all disks read at the same time. I timed it and it happens exactly every 60 seconds. All disk and smart settings are default except for spin down which is 15 minutes. 

Any help in trying to address this is much appreciated, its forcing my drives to be active all the time and never spin down.

maverick-syslog-20231001-0455.zip

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The syslog snippet you posted is quite short and shows all drives spinning down and then a couple spinning back up.    We might be able to tell more if we had the full diagnostics zip file so we can check how things are set up and if the syslog in them covered a longer period so that there are more occurrences of your issue.

I can post the diagnostics when I have a chance in a few hours, but as I said, this was after a reboot in safe mode, with docker and vm systems off. So no dockers, no VM’s, no plugins. Even then, the issue happens every 60 seconds like clock work. So even on this short log, and in the diagnostics, O can only hope there’s still something showing what’s happening. Because I have no idea. 

Edited by Ezekial66
On 10/1/2023 at 4:03 AM, itimpi said:

The syslog snippet you posted is quite short and shows all drives spinning down and then a couple spinning back up.    We might be able to tell more if we had the full diagnostics zip file so we can check how things are set up and if the syslog in them covered a longer period so that there are more occurrences of your issue.

Please find attached a newer (and longer) Sys Log as well as the Diagnostics for review.

maverick-syslog-20231006-0234.zip maverick-diagnostics-20231005-2233.zip

1 minute ago, Vr2Io said:

You have sas-spindown.plg - 2022.08.02 and SAS disk, pls try uninstall / disable it, then go to safe mode, check does SATA or SAS disk have such periodic read. 

Yes I attempted it both in safe mode (no plugins installed anyway), as well as manually deleting the plugin and going into safe mode. The issue still persists unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Got you have in safe mode

Oct  5 23:38:38 Maverick root: unRAID Safe Mode (unraidsafemode) has been set

But don't understand why system will mount disk with XFS filesystem.

All my disk were BTRFS, but I haven't found will mount disk with file system in safe mode. I attach my diagnostic FYR

b365-diagnostics-20231006-1158.zip 84.07 kB · 0 downloads

Does your docker service show failed to start in safe mode ?

image.png.0199639206b93fc614d67715c758c538.png

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're asking a question based on you having a different issue? Or telling me something...

My array has always been XFS, it has always started in safe mode without issue. This problem of it constantly reading data from the array does persist in safe mode

11 minutes ago, Ezekial66 said:

My array has always been XFS, it has always started in safe mode without issue. This problem of it constantly reading data from the array does persist in safe mode

For my understanding, if Unraid in safe mode, it won't mount any disk with filesystem ( so no docker could start too ), and why I ask does docker service in stop, because I found you set the docker img in array, this may cause periodic read in array. 

DOCKER_ENABLED="yes"
DOCKER_IMAGE_FILE="/mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img"
DOCKER_IMAGE_SIZE="100"
DOCKER_APP_CONFIG_PATH="/mnt/user/appdata/" 

Edited by Vr2Io
7 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

For my understanding, if Unraid in safe mode, it won't mount any disk with filesystem ( so no docker could start too ), and why I ask does docker service in stop, because I found you set the docker img in array, this may cause periodic read in array. 

DOCKER_ENABLED="yes"
DOCKER_IMAGE_FILE="/mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img"
DOCKER_IMAGE_SIZE="100"
DOCKER_APP_CONFIG_PATH="/mnt/user/appdata/" 

Give me a few minutes I'm just finishing up something and then I can shut it all down again. As I said in the original post, I ran the system in safe mode, with dockers and VM's turned off, and the SAS plugin DELETED. It still was reading. So it has nothing to do with the docker service, but i will turn everyhting off again and send you another diag to show.

OK.

My different Unraid build haven't spindown issue, so I seldom go to safe mode to troubleshoot.

But now, I found some abnormal on safe-mode, the disk actually will self spinup because system reading it, so pls don't test under safe mode.

** edit : periodic reads in safe mode should only happen on POOL DEVICES ** 

Pls try boot Unraid in normal with disable docker service and check does periodic read gone. 

image.thumb.png.369c98e69940f6529abf1cb4138cb18e.png

Edited by Vr2Io
3 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Sounds as if you have misunderstood Safe Mode.    What this does is avoid loading any plugins but can still mount the drives as normal and run docker and VMs.    Perhaps you are thinking of Maintenance mode instead?