Cannot get Unraid to boot in Legacy

Scriphy

Hello,

I have an AMD 3960X processor in a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme TRX40 motherboard. I have used this combo in the past for Unraid but am having trouble getting a new server set up with this same hardware again. My processor does not have an integrated GPU but I do have a discrete graphics card plugged into the bottom most slot on my board and that is what my HDMI connects through. 

I've attached screenshots of my BIOS settings below in case I'm missing something silly. I've followed the guide from SpaceInvaderOne and am trying to set this up using legacy mode so that I will be able to pass my GPU through to docker containers or a VM in the future properly. When I go to boot to the usb drive it has a blinking command line for about 20 seconds and then says the device was not bootable, press any key to try again. If I choose the UEFI version of the same drive it just kicks out and fails right away. 

If I change my BIOS settings from how the screenshots show and turn CSM off, then I get the same result when booting to just the drive. If I have CSM off and boot to the UEFI version of the drive then I DO get the Unraid boot menu. I hit the down arrow for GUI mode and it has lots of text on the screen for 1-2 minutes and then it just goes to a blinking curser, but never actually shows me the GUI. if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL then it gives text again to show that the server is trying to shut down. So it seems EUFI mode in my BIOS and the UEFI drive sorta gets the server going, but I would be forced to use a separate device to access the GUI (not the end of the world). My main worry is that I'll end up having future issues with pass through because I'm using UEFI and not legacy this way. 

My goal is to find what setting is stopping me from booting this drive using legacy mode and to figure out why I'm unable to actually see the GUI on the machine locally. If there are any other logs / information I can provide to help troubleshoot this I will happily do so!

TIA!

231216063356.BMP 231216063403.BMP 231216063421.BMP 231216063424.BMP 231216063430.BMP 231216063435.BMP 231216063439.BMP 231216063450.BMP 231216063454.BMP 231216063523.BMP 231216063528.BMP

I have an Aorus X570 Extreme, I know its a different motherboard but the bios will be similar (me thinks). 

Have a look at this post guide that I did, it saved a few people the headache that I went through. I didn't download all your images to look at, its too much work. I suggest adding them to your post in-line instead of as attachments. The first section shows my bios settings. Note that I used:

STORAGE BOOT OPTION CONTROL: LEGACY

OTHER PCI DEVICE ROM PRIORITY: UEFI Only

GPU RTX 3090 PASSTHROUGH TO WINDOWS 10 GUIDE WITHOUT VBIOS (CODE 43 BYPASS)

These are my unRaid boot settings. Note, that I don't have UEFI boot option enabled, despite it being on as an option in my bios, "OTHER PCI DEVICE ROM PRIORITY: UEFI Only". Leave CSM enabled in the BIOS. Don't set unRaid to boot into Gui mode, you can connect to it remotely via VNC.

Remember, you're trying to pass through your graphics card, you cannot have it running in gui to do this, unless you're planning on using two graphics cards and giving one to the gui on boot. It doesn't sound like thats your plan. On another note, Spaceinvader, like a lot of people on Unraid are simply smarter than I and his guides are great, but it simply didn't work for me in getting the graphics card to pass. I'm tempted to upgrade my bios, as its several updates old and I shudder at the thought, as its likely to break my IOMMU set up for my VMs.

image.thumb.png.218e551ab890e57214031aea13fd1ad0.png

Repost your settings as in-line into your next post, if you need further help. Nobody is going to download all those BMP. You can literally print screen and paste into your post.

Edited by Geck0
update
6 hours ago, Scriphy said:

Does the unraid creation tool not format the Drive automatically? I don't see a place to change the settings for which filesystem to use 

When legacy / UEFI fail to boot ( boot fail point to USB, not Unraid boot progress ), then you need different way by manual instead default 

- copy all file to stick

- execute 1 of 3 step to make legacy bootable

image.png.5adb7ff8f7c304e25d4c4ea2c643caa9.png

Change the directory EFI- to EFI if you want boot in UEFI mode, otherwise will be legacy.

Edited by Vr2Io