[Support] Eurotimmy - RomM (ROM Manager) by zurdi15

For now I have added an option in the XML template to select which 'tag' you want to install.

On a fresh installation, you will see'

Option:

= 2.3.1 - The last of the 2.X versions (requiring only minor efforts on the installers part)

= latest - The most recent of the 3.X version (as of writing this... requiring the "PORTS, PATHS, AND VARIABLES" from @Green Dragon 🙏 post above)

I'll adjust the XML template again soon... to auto include all the right ports, paths & variables for the 'latest' tag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi there!

Would any of you happen to know why on start, ROMM gives the following error messages and do you happen to have a suggestion to solve it?

Thanks!

9:C 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Redis version=7.2.4, bits=64, commit=00000000, modified=0, pid=9, just started
9:C 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Configuration loaded
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * monotonic clock: POSIX clock_gettime
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Running mode=standalone, port=6379.
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.646 * Server initialized
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.646 * Ready to accept connections tcp
CRITICAL: [RomM][2024-03-15 11:07:21] Missing database credentials. Please check your configuration file
ERROR:    [init][2024-03-15 11:07:21] Something went horribly wrong with our database

2 hours ago, Chazer said:

Hi there!

Would any of you happen to know why on start, ROMM gives the following error messages and do you happen to have a suggestion to solve it?

Thanks!

9:C 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Redis version=7.2.4, bits=64, commit=00000000, modified=0, pid=9, just started
9:C 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Configuration loaded
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * monotonic clock: POSIX clock_gettime
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.645 * Running mode=standalone, port=6379.
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.646 * Server initialized
9:M 15 Mar 2024 11:07:20.646 * Ready to accept connections tcp
CRITICAL: [RomM][2024-03-15 11:07:21] Missing database credentials. Please check your configuration file
ERROR:    [init][2024-03-15 11:07:21] Something went horribly wrong with our database

You are using the latest which is v3. There were a lot of changes and the docker plugin is broke. Just wait for Eurotimmy to update it.

1 hour ago, drilus said:

You are using the latest which is v3. There were a lot of changes and the docker plugin is broke. Just wait for Eurotimmy to update it.

Thank you! I'll sit tight. I was going crazy trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Hey team!

I have published another RomM CA template now.
(it took a couple of days to appear / publish in CA, please excuse the delay)

When you are performing a fresh install, you will be presented with 2 options.
Please select 'latest' in the option list to get the current v3.X and the template will have all the current variables available for you.
Note: v3.X requires a MariaDB container, which is quick to add in Unraid CA.

FYI: @Green Dragon - please notify the Discord community if you feel its appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

For everyone, who found their Romm instance not working this morning:

1. Click "Edit" on the containter instance in the Docker section of Unraid
  2. Click the toggle next to Basic View in top right to switch to Advanced View
  3. Update the following:
    1. Registry URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/rommapp/romm
    2. Extra Parameters: -u 99:100
    3. Make sure variables REDIS_HOST and REDIS_PORT are not in the list of template variables
    4. Click "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" and add a variable called UMASK with key UMASK and value 000

All these changes are related to the recent application updates. Or you can also wait until @Eurotimmy updates the template :)

Edited by Cryptic3258
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cryptic3258 said:

For everyone, who found their Romm instance not working this morning:

1. Click "Edit" on the containter instance in the Docker section of Unraid
  2. Click the toggle next to Basic View in top right to switch to Advanced View
  3. Update the following:
    1. Registry URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/rommapp/romm
    2. Extra Parameters: -u 99:100
    3. Make sure variables REDIS_HOST and REDIS_PORT are not in the list of template variables
    4. Click "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" and add a variable called UMASK with key UMASK and value 000

All these changes are related to the recent application updates. Or you can also wait until @Eurotimmy updates the template :)

Thank you!!  I thought I messed up permissions all morning.

Also need to replace Repository: with "rommapp/romm:latest" if it's not obvious to others(like me at first).

• Thanks 2

NOTE: As of posting this the Unraid CA library may not have picked up my edits yet, it's usually pretty quick though.

I have updated the ':latest' tag option in the Unraid CA template.
Select the ':latest' option on a fresh install of RomM to get the new variable and repo.

Check the 'Repository' is pre-set to "rommapp/romm:latest"
If the template is correct the 'UMASK' will be in the "Show more settings..." section and pre-set to "000"

Thank you to @Cryptic3258 & @ktfcaptain for posting up the changes here (above). 🏆

Please report back with any issues / results for me to keep the template up-to-date. 💪

• Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

When I try to scan my library, my Switch games cause it to fail and give up.
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/backend/handler/fixtures/switch_titledb.json'

Looks like that file doesn't exist, and when trying to fetch it the entire backend folder is recursively set to perms that make it so it can't write the file there.

8 hours ago, TheCyberQuake said:

When I try to scan my library, my Switch games cause it to fail and give up.
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/backend/handler/fixtures/switch_titledb.json'

Looks like that file doesn't exist, and when trying to fetch it the entire backend folder is recursively set to perms that make it so it can't write the file there.

Hello! This is due to a permissions issue that will be solved in the 3.1 version :). You can test already the first release candidate (3.1.0-rc.1)

Edited by zurdi15
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed RomM for the first time and ran into a few problems. I ended up rebuilding the Docker container configuration based on information I found on the rommapp GitHub unraid_template/romm.xml and now the errors are gone.

Here's a copy of the configuration that I am using. You can edit your RomM container and use this as a reference. If you do, you'll probably want to make a few changes to things like the WebUI port and the location of the folders to match your system requirements. Some differences from the original config:

• Added variables for automated rom scanning.
  • Added a variable for the MobyGames API key.
  • Added variables for the UID and GID.
    • Container config no longer needs extra parameters.
  • Moved the assets and resources folders off of the cache drive and to my array.
    • The thought process behind the resources folder is so those files don't eat up space on my cache drive.
    • I feel that the assets folder should remain on the array is to protect the game saves and states and not lost if my cache drive dies.
<Container version="2">
  <Name>RomM</Name>
  <Repository>rommapp/romm:3.1.0-rc.2</Repository>
  <Registry>https://hub.docker.com/r/rommapp/romm</Registry>
  <Network>bridge</Network>
  <MyIP/>
  <Shell>sh</Shell>
  <Privileged>false</Privileged>
  <Support>https://github.com/rommapp/romm/issues</Support>
  <Project>https://github.com/rommapp/romm</Project>
  <Overview>RomM is a game library manager focused on retro games. Manage and organize all of your games from a web browser.</Overview>
  <Category>MediaApp:Other</Category>
  <WebUI>http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]</WebUI>
  <TemplateURL>https://github.com/rommapp/romm/blob/release/unraid_template/romm.xml</TemplateURL>
  <Icon>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rommapp/romm/master/.github/resources/isotipo.png</Icon>
  <ExtraParams/>
  <PostArgs/>
  <CPUset/>
  <Requires>MariaDB</Requires>
  <Config Name="WebUI Port" Target="8080" Default="8080" Mode="tcp" Description="" Type="Port" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">8080</Config>
  <Config Name="Config" Target="/romm/config" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Please copy the file at https://github.com/rommapp/romm/tree/release/examples/config.example.yml to the config folder and rename to 'config.yml'" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/romm/config</Config>
  <Config Name="Library" Target="/romm/library/" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Your game library" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/emulation/</Config>
  <Config Name="Assets" Target="/romm/assets/" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Uploaded saves, states, etc." Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/emulation/assets/</Config>
  <Config Name="Logs" Target="/romm/logs" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Path where logs are stored" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/romm/logs</Config>
  <Config Name="Resources" Target="/romm/resources" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Resources fetched from IGDB (covers, screenshots, etc.)" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/emulation/resources/</Config>
  <Config Name="Redis Data" Target="/redis-data" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Cached data for background tasks" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/romm/redis-data</Config>
  <Config Name="RomM DB Host" Target="DB_HOST" Default="romm-db" Mode="" Description="Use the IP address of your MariaDB instance. Install MariaDB if you don't already have it." Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false"></Config>
  <Config Name="RomM DB Name" Target="DB_NAME" Default="romm" Mode="" Description="Should match MYSQL_DATABASE in mariadb" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">romm</Config>
  <Config Name="RomM DB User" Target="DB_USER" Default="romm-user" Mode="" Description="Should match MYSQL_USER in mariadb" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">romm-user</Config>
  <Config Name="RomM DB Password" Target="DB_PASSWD" Default="" Mode="" Description="Should match MYSQL_PASSWORD in mariadb" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="RomM DB Port" Target="DB_PORT" Default="3306" Mode="" Description="Should match your mariadb port. Default is: `3306`" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">3306</Config>
  <Config Name="IGDB Client ID" Target="IGDB_CLIENT_ID" Default="" Mode="" Description="Generate an ID and SECRET in IGDB:&#13;&#10;https://api-docs.igdb.com/#account-creation" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="IGDB Client Secret" Target="IGDB_CLIENT_SECRET" Default="" Mode="" Description="Generate an ID and SECRET in IGDB:&#13;&#10;https://api-docs.igdb.com/#account-creation" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="RomM Auth Secret" Target="ROMM_AUTH_SECRET_KEY" Default="" Mode="" Description="Generate a key with `openssl rand -hex 32`" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="RomM Auth Username" Target="ROMM_AUTH_USERNAME" Default="admin" Mode="" Description="Default is: `admin`" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">admin</Config>
  <Config Name="RomM Auth Password" Target="ROMM_AUTH_PASSWORD" Default="admin" Mode="" Description="Default is: `admin`" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="MobyGames API Key" Target="MOBYGAMES_API_KEY" Default="" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="true"></Config>
  <Config Name="Enable rescan on filesystem change" Target="ENABLE_RESCAN_ON_FILESYSTEM_CHANGE" Default="false" Mode="" Description="Run a scan when the filesystem changes" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">false</Config>
  <Config Name="rescan on filesystem change delay" Target="RESCAN_ON_FILESYSTEM_CHANGE_DELAY" Default="5" Mode="" Description="Delay in seconds before running a scan" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">5</Config>
  <Config Name="Enable scheduled scan" Target="ENABLE_SCHEDULED_RESCAN" Default="false" Mode="" Description="Run a scan on a schedule" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">false</Config>
  <Config Name="Scheduled rescan schedule" Target="SCHEDULED_RESCAN_CRON" Default="0 3 * * *" Mode="" Description="Cron expression for scheduled scan" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">0 3 * * *</Config>
  <Config Name="Enable scheduled update of Switch TitleDB" Target="ENABLE_SCHEDULED_UPDATE_SWITCH_TITLEDB" Default="false" Mode="" Description="Update Switch TitleDB on a schedule" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">false</Config>
  <Config Name="Scheduled update of Switch TitleDB schedule" Target="SCHEDULED_UPDATE_SWITCH_TITLEDB_CRON" Default="0 4 * * *" Mode="" Description="Cron expression for scheduled Switch TitleDB update" Type="Variable" Display="advanced" Required="false" Mask="false">0 4 * * *</Config>
  <Config Name="PUID" Target="PUID" Default="99" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="advanced-hide" Required="false" Mask="false">99</Config>
  <Config Name="PGID" Target="PGID" Default="100" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="advanced-hide" Required="false" Mask="false">100</Config>
  <Config Name="UMASK" Target="UMASK" Default="000" Mode="" Description="" Type="Variable" Display="advanced-hide" Required="false" Mask="false">000</Config>
</Container>

Notes:

• After changing the repository from romm:latest to the romm:3.1.0-rc.2 I wasn't able to revert back to latest.
    • I'm guessing it's related to changes made to the MariaDB database in the release candidate not being compatible with the older version of RomM.
    • This could be tested by creating a new MariaDB database and updating the RomM config with the new database name. 
  • The XML file can be directly edited in /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-RomM.xml. 
    • Exercise caution when directly editing the configuration XML.
  • I was getting permissions problems with /backend/handler/fixtures/MAME.xml. To fix I needed to change the permissions inside of the docker image itself. 
chgrp 1000 /backend/ -R
chown 1000 /backend/ -R

• I haven't tested to see if this fixes the problem running /backend/tasks/update_mame_xml.py I ran this command after I bashed into the container.

curl -o /backend/handler/fixtures/MAME.xml https://gist.githubusercontent.com/gantoine/0e2b9e25962bfd661ad2fe0ba0e72766/raw/gistfile1.txt

Edited by BusterBrawls
Minor change to xml, info on editing the xml directly, testing a new db, & added notes for file/folder permissions.
  • 2 weeks later...