Using MC to recovery files only fills one drive

Aloyloy
Go to solution Solved by Aloyloy,

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not clear what you are doing. You mention MC in the title, but are you using Remote Shares feature of Unassigned Devices?

I"m not sure what the "remote share" feature is. Sorry. I have drives from my old array that I'm attempting to save data off off.
I've attached them to the server. Then I went under Disk Devices and hit mount. Opened Midnight Commander and browsed to the files and now I'm trying to copy them to the new array I've built. But it just fills up the first drive only.

Edited by Aloyloy
12 minutes ago, Aloyloy said:

I can use it to move them to another drive in the array but does that tool support moving from a mounted drive outside array into it?

Ahh you're quite right there - Sorry..
"Remote Shares" are those hosted under 'Unassigned Devices' - Not in the Array.

Krusader is a good alternative to MC..

20 minutes ago, Kev600 said:

Ahh you're quite right there - Sorry..
"Remote Shares" are those hosted under 'Unassigned Devices' - Not in the Array.

Krusader is a good alternative to MC..

I couldn't figure out how to browse to the active share and the mounted drives in Krusader.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread.

Done.

metis-diagnostics-20231228-0830.zip

I am a bit confused as the diagnostics do not show disk1 as being anywhere near full.

the shares are set to use highwater allocation method so with 1x16TB and 2x8TB drives I would not expect disk 2 to start getting used until disk1 is down to 25% free., which is what it looks like what is happening.

the syslog in the diagnostics contains continual USB Disconnect messages which makes it hard to look for other errors.   Any idea what USB device that is, and can it be removed?

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

I am a bit confused as the diagnostics do not show disk1 as being anywhere near full.

the shares are set to use highwater allocation method so with 1x16TB and 2x8TB drives I would not expect disk 2 to start getting used until disk1 is down to 25% free., which is what it looks like what is happening.

the syslog in the diagnostics contains continual USB Disconnect messages which makes it hard to look for other errors.   Any idea what USB device that is, and can it be removed?

Disk one shows 4tb free but when I use MC to copy files to the share I get a message that its full.

The only USB devices connected are the KVM and the Unraid drive. I guess I could unplug the KVM, not sure why its disconnecting and reconnecting. I did have a problem previously with that but was pretty sure it was fixed when I replaced the unraid flash drive a week or so ago (it was damaged when I bumped it)

edit: DOH it was an incompatible UPS plugged in. fixed that now.

image.png

Edited by Aloyloy
  • Solution

I apologize for wasting everyone's time. I am a moron when it comes to Linux and the solution was so dumb. It was all due to the lack of a proper GUI.

In midnight commander I was selecting the files I wanted to copy then selecting where I wanted them to go on the right. Then hitting the copy button. Thus I was sending the files the WRONG DIRECTION. So it was the old 8tb that was full, not the 16tb I was copy to.