Fatal Crash

Hello,

I was wondering whether it is possible (and how?) to recover data and the array after a fatal crash that left me with the parity drive as well as 2 other drives (out of 4). One of the drive is now missing and will remain so as some of the pins for the power are broken. The second drive is there and seems fine with SMART but is not available to the array and is disabled. As such the array is stopped with invalid configuration. 

Is there anyway to recover the data on the missing drive and get the array back up again? 

Thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 8.00.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 9.55.53 PM.png

The standard recovery methods will not work with 2 drives failed and single parity.

It might be possible to force Unraid to tread disk4 as valid and see if it can then successfully emulate disk1.  @JorgeB is the expert on this type of recovery so I would suggest waiting for him to chime in.

This will only work if parity is still valid:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including the new disk1, replacement disk should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk1
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags.

Thanks. I don't know if I did what you asked properly. I initially couldn't get to the check filesystem even after clicking on the drive. It's simply wasn't there. The drive was ntfs so I reformated the disk1 to xfs and now it mounts and can be part of the array. I checked the file system status. I started the array in maintenance mode and the drive is part of it. The drive is emulated (and shows a SMART error although it's not clear why because it seems fine). Should I now click the SYNC button and try a data-rebuild? Would that possibly restore what was on the original disk1?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 7.50.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 10.18.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 10.18.40 PM.png

So I ran it on disk1 with the -L flag and then started the array. it did rebuild overnight and now the array is up. I'm not sure that the data on disk1 are there however. I'm trying to mount the share and see if the data are there but it's taking a while. I will post tomorrow. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 8.10.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 6.27.29 PM.png

The new disk1 that was added was ntfs. I made it xfs to be part of the array. That's it. The drive was brand new to obviously empty. I would assume as such that I didn't erase data. Am I wrong in this assumption? The array was then rebuilt with this new disk1 drive in place of the previous one. Are the data rebuilt or gone?

I did the check filesystem with the -L flag on disk1. Then started the array and it did a rebuild overnight. As you can see in wednesday's post, when the drive was unmounted it was ntfs. When part of the array it was changed to xfs. I did change its format so it was part of the array. Was that my mistake?

After rebuild disk1 has only 27.9 Gb written on it. So I assume the data are gone?