[Solved][6.12.4] How to get better internet speeds?

Go to solution Solved by rikdegraaff,

Hi all,

I am not much into networking.
But 10 minutes ago, I did a speedtest on my unRAID server with different docker containers as well via a VM without VPN.

Those speeds were continuous about 80 Mbps, or 10MB/s.

I also noticed in my modem/router, my Fritz box, that my unRAID server is connected via a 100 Mbps connection although I have everything wired up with Cat 5e cables and gigabit switches.

My internet connection at home is 500/500 Mbps via fiber, and I get close to those speeds with my normal PC.

So what can I do to get higher speeds on my unRAID server?

And what kind of info do you guys need more to inform me about this?

I hope you'll tech savvies can help me out with this matter.

Kind Regards,

Rik

Edited by rikdegraaff

It sounds as if there is an issue with the cabling (or the router) ports.    If a cable (or port) does not have all pins correctly connecting on a LAN cable then the connection speed automatically degrades to 100Mbps as that only uses half of the pins.   Have you tried with different cables or ports?

I tried with different cables but nothing seems to make a difference.

Still unknown status with trying different ports, as we have here in the house between the router and the unRAID server 2 or 3 network switches.
All the switches are all gigabit switches, so can that still be the culprit? As they are 1000 Mbps...

That's my conclusion with my limited knowledge.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for replying so fast @itimpi!

1 hour ago, trurl said:

ethtool agrees your server is connected at 1000Mb/s. Must be something further along

Sorry but what do you mean with Must be something further along?

I am a little autistic, so I do not understand your message...

It is too comprehensive for me to understand right away what you are saying.

1 hour ago, rikdegraaff said:

they are all gigabit switches.

But are all the ports and cables involved actually giving gigabit speeds?

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

If a cable (or port) does not have all pins correctly connecting on a LAN cable then the connection speed automatically degrades to 100Mbps as that only uses half of the pins

Each cable is its on unique link between two points. Your diagnostic shows your server is linked at 1000, but it appears there is another link between your server and router that is not. Are you able to verify each link has a 1000Mbps connection? How many links are there to get to your router? 

Posted (edited)

First I think that one of the cables is broken cause most of the switches their port give me 100 Mbps speed in my router.

But how do I find out which cable is broken?

Is there any quick way to tell?

Because we have here 4 switches between the router and the unRAID server (3* 5-port and 1* 8 port swtches).

That is because I have a lot of LAN devices here.

Edited by rikdegraaff
39 minutes ago, rikdegraaff said:

But how do I find out which cable is broken?

Is there any quick way to tell?

Quickest might be to get a cable tester.  I would think you would only need the cheap sort that are something like £7-£10 from Amazon.   Of course that only works for the cabling - do not think it can detect a bad port on one of the routers.

The only other way I can think of is a portable device and gradually start working away from the router to which Unraid is attached and plugging it in to another port to see when the speed drops off.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Yes - that tester works fine for standard LAN cables in my experience.   I used to use one when I was making my own custom LAN cables.

Me too. Just got it out late last year to put plugs on a long piece of cable when I need to go to another room temporarily.

• Solution

Solution was that the cable plugged in from the Fritzbox wasn't properly connected to the first switch.
I jerked a little at the cable because I saw it was plugged in but the port was not blinking.

Then it blinked again, seemed that the connection wasn't good.

Though tested the LAN cable with my new apparatus, and the cable was ok.

Thanks for helping me through this one!

• rikdegraaff changed the title to [Solved][6.12.4] How to get better internet speeds?