Unraid keeps resetting its config after update

So, now i know why my drives were addded wrong, its because of unraid.

The last time I didn't understand the connection. But now its 100% because of that update. 6.12.4 -> 6.12.6 

I just did a update to latest version and i saw the array didnt auto start.

Then i checked settings and sure, all my settings are gone - AGAIN!

Things like default spindown, default file system...

WTF? Why? Is that a bug?

PS: Is there an easy way to go from xfs to xfs encrypted? 2 out of my 12 HDDs are not encrypted... because of that bug. (without deleting data or moving data)

Edited by NewDisplayName

Never heard of the upgrade losing settings.   Sounds as if you may have a flash drive problem if that is happening as that is where all the settings are stored.

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.

4 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

PS: Is there an easy way to go from xfs to xfs encrypted? 2 out of my 12 HDDs are not encrypted... because of that bug. (without deleting data or moving data)

No.  Changing the file system type always involves copying the data elsewhere, reformatting the drive and then copying the data back.

The stick isnt that old and never had any problems with it. Years without losing any config, but immediatly after a update? ;-) - Multiple times!

Some idea how to test the stick?

Btw i restartet multiple times (2-3?) while adding drives and didnt losing any settings..., only this time, after updating.

unraid-server-diagnostics-20240115-1232.zip

Edited by NewDisplayName
1 hour ago, NewDisplayName said:

I found the bug!

/Settings/DiskSettings

gets reset to default when you use "new config", since that is NOWHERE written, thats a bug?!

I thought it was the update because i changed drives AND updated both times.

@limetech@itimpi

I think that is by design.

Using New Config is not something that is done in normal running.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think that is by design.

Using New Config is not something that is done in normal running.

If its by design, it should be changed. Why should it clean the settings there? that doesnt make sense? Its clearly sayin 

This is a utility to reset the array disk configuration so that all disks appear as "New" disks, as if it were a fresh new server.

1.) remove that bug

OR

2.) add to the text that you also default (remove) your settings/disksettings

OR 

3.) add another [  ] box for "keep settings/disksettings"

I wonder what else is affected...?

Edited by NewDisplayName
Just now, NewDisplayName said:

Why should it clean the settings there? that doesnt make sense? Its clearly sayin 

This is a utility to reset the array disk configuration so that all disks appear as "New" disks, as if it were a fresh new server.

1.) remove that bug

OR

2.) add to the text that you also default (remove) your settings/disksettings

I wonder what else is affected...?

I interpret that phase as meaning that any settings that refer to drives in any way get reset to their defaults.

4 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

okay, i dont. 

Anyway, i cant think of a reason that would make sense? Im creating a new config to add a drive, why should i want to add it WRONG (and thats whats happening) to the array? (if i set it to standard XFS encrypted e.g.)

Why use New Config to add a drive.   That is not the normal way of doing it. New Config should only be used in extreme circumstances.

16 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

Because i want to recreate parity instead of 0000 the new drives..

Not sure why you want this as 0000 new drives it a lot less stress on the system.    If you do it via the UD  plugin then when you get around to adding it to the array it adds immediately so downtime is minimal.

you might want to read this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release..

16 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

also use it. (e.g. one fails, then i transfer all out to a different disk, new config, remove drive, start, without parity rebuild

The process for handling drive failures is described here in the documentation.   This handles both replacing failed drives and upgrading to larger drives.

The only times New Config should come into play are:

• Completely resetting the array back to defaults
  • Reducing the number of drives in the array.
  • recovering from certain types of error scenario.   This would normally be done  after getting advice in the forum.

I dont understand why you tell me this.

"Reducing the number of drives in the array."

If i have a failed drive and i cant replace it immediatly i can (and want) simple remove that drive. Thats exactly what im doing. Im reducin the number of drives in the array...? I can do that without rebuilding parity.

"Not sure why you want this as 0000 new drives it a lot less stress on the system.    If you do it via the UD  plugin then when you get around to adding it to the array it adds immediately so downtime is minimal."

Thats exactly what unraid does if you start the array with new drives, lol? And yeah  i even used the UD plugin to format it beforehand. I translate it to you: Instead of waiting 19h to 0000 all new drives, i just take 24h to rebuild parity. Do you understand?

I have the feeling you dont understand me. Why are we even talki ng about that?

BTW: that documentation sucks

ps:

image.thumb.png.8f4f6a0270da1b36a47fa4a1335be939.png

after reading this, there is no indication that it will remove all changes i have made under "settings/disksettings". What do you not understand? What do i not understand? Is that not correct?

Edited by NewDisplayName

Probably language barrier or something, but yeah...New Config is that, "start fresh", "forget anything you know about those drives"...

If i have a failed drive and i cant replace it immediatly i can (and want) simple remove that drive. Thats exactly what im doing. Im reducin the number of drives in the array...? I can do that without rebuilding parity.

You cannot remove a drive without rebuilding parity and have it be valid.

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Probably language barrier or something, but yeah...New Config is that, "start fresh", "forget anything you know about those drives"...

Its pretty easy, if its intented ADD IT TO THE BIG TEXT BOX SO ATLEAST USERS KNOW IT. If not, change it. Do you even know what setting im refering to?

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You cannot remove a drive without rebuilding parity and have it be valid.

Thats exactly what im doin for years without a problem.

52 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

ADD IT TO THE BIG TEXT BOX SO ATLEAST USERS KNOW IT

It's there. "reset the array drive configuration [...] as if it was a fresh server". So every setting relating to array drives is expected to be forgotten.

52 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Thats exactly what im doin for years without a problem.

Then your parity is likely wrong and would not actually allow to rebuild a drive to its original state.

You can tell unraid the parity is valid, but all you're doing is overriding the fact it knows it's wrong and taking the responsibility for making sure it is. If you removed a drive without zeroing it first it is not.

Edited by Kilrah
2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It's there. "reset the array drive configuration [...] as if it was a fresh server". So every setting relating to array drives is expected to be forgotten.

Array drive configuration = where the disks are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and so on.

image.thumb.png.328b17d6a31c12f3b2df731127e8c2d4.png

THIS!?

You can tell unraid the parity is valid, but all you're doing is overriding the fact it knows it's wrong and taking the responsibility for making sure it is.

I dont know what you mean. I did numerous parity checks with my method, not a single problem. So it is perfectly working fine. 

If you removed a drive without zeroing it first it is not.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Edited by NewDisplayName