Drive failed, rebuilt and now no shares show up

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Stop array, change the disk filesystem to a different one, start array, format the disk, stop the array, change back to xfs, start array, re-format.

Done. 

How should I proceed now? Parity check the file system before I reset up shares and copy files back? 

Also, @trurl the drive that was failing now has a RAW READ ERROR RATE of 182, up from 177. So replacing the drive appears to have been totally eminent. 

53 minutes ago, xjumper84 said:

How should I proceed now? Parity check the file system before I reset up shares and copy files back?

Post new diagnostics.

You should still have your shares just not all of their contents until you copy them back.

Parity and filesystems have nothing to do with each other, but parity check might be a good idea.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You should still have your shares just not all of their contents until you copy them back.

If any share existed only on that disk, it won't exist until you create its folder when you copy them back, but whatever settings you had for the share should still be there.

• Solution

Let me summarize just for my own benefit to make sure I haven't missed or misunderstood something since I have looked at a lot of threads this weekend.

Yes the drive needed replacing, which was done but rebuild was not successful, so the new disk was formatted so you can copy the data back from the original, which is still having problems but hopefully will work well enough to copy its files.

Does that seem accurate?

No obvious problems in these latest diagnostics.

Dynamix File Manager plugin will let you work with files and folders directly on the server, including that Unassigned Device. Or you can use whatever other method you are comfortable with.

Not related, your system share is on disk5. Since your Docker configuration isn't set to use that share I don't know what might be there unless you also use VM Manager. That share would normally be on cache or other pool and configured to stay there, but maybe it isn't really used.

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

Let me summarize just for my own benefit to make sure I haven't missed or misunderstood something since I have looked at a lot of threads this weekend.

Yes the drive needed replacing, which was done but rebuild was not successful, so the new disk was formatted so you can copy the data back from the original, which is still having problems but hopefully will work well enough to copy its files.

Does that seem accurate?

No obvious problems in these latest diagnostics.

Dynamix File Manager plugin will let you work with files and folders directly on the server, including that Unassigned Device. Or you can use whatever other method you are comfortable with.

Not related, your system share is on disk5. Since your Docker configuration isn't set to use that share I don't know what might be there unless you also use VM Manager. That share would normally be on cache or other pool and configured to stay there, but maybe it isn't really used.

Yes you summary is accurate. 

I will check out Dynamix File Manager. I'm finding Disk5 to be very loud when accessing files and it keeps switching between 3gb/s and 6gb/s sata 3.1 link speed. I suspect its the controller card its connected to, but thats for another day.  

I also need to plan out upgrading the server to 6.12.x. I'm finding hardware limitations with my current build that would warrant a hardware refresh. 

Thank you for your help. I hope the next drive I replace goes better.