Increasing number of UDMC CRC Errors for 1 disk

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

My Unraid server is seeing an increased number of udma crc errors for one of the disks. Please see attached for reference. I've tried reseating the SATA cables yesterday per some suggestions on this forum and the error count is still increasing. I'm currently running an extended self test on all my drives and will report back with the results (hopefully in a day). In the interim, I've included the diagnostics file - hoping someone can help me out.

Much appreciated in advance.

UDMC CRC Errors.png

titan-diagnostics-20240120-0208.zip

32 minutes ago, VicePrez said:

Sounds good - thanks @JorgeB, quick question - I have 4 other bays that are empty. If i move the disk to either of them, would it impact the drives contents, or screw up the mapping on unraid? I figured I'd test the drive under any one of those bays to rule out cabling.

Unraid does not care where the drives are connected as long as they present their serial numbers (and size ) the same in both locations.

9 hours ago, itimpi said:

Unraid does not care where the drives are connected as long as they present their serial numbers (and size ) the same in both locations.

Excellent; sounds good. Smart test is almost done, I'll have to do this in the morning. I'll report back.

Ok, so more updates. The drive in question doesn't seem to be spitting out any UDMC CRC errors after moving it to another bay slot (confirmed under the warning notification history page as well); however, is it normal for it to continue showing as a drive with errors on the dashboard (see below for reference)? I assume it has to do the smart attribute being stored and read by unraid and still being shown as a drive with errors?

Further to that, I seem to have 1 more drive that's showing similar errors. I'll try do what @JorgeBrecommended and report back.

image.png.45cf92a80d90dc6cdf9bb5768dc5fe9d.png

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can click on the warning to acknowledge and it will warn again if it increases.

Oh my goodness, I didn't know I could do that. You live you learn. Thank you! I'll try swapping the the offending drive right after work and report back.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

UDMA CRC ERRORS just means the received data didn't pass checksum. This is almost certainly a connection issue and not a drive issue.

For sure, @trurl - thanks a bunch. I noticed that as soon as i switched the drive to another bay slot after @JorgeB suggested doing that. I have one more to verify, which I'll do in a couple of hours.