Screwed up drive replacement

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, dealbakerjones said:

parity was lost (when i formatted the 900gb disk3 replacement)

Parity is in-sync with the formatted disk so can't rebuild anything else.

Looks like repair put everything in lost+found.

The linux 'file' command can help you figure out what type of data is in each file, then maybe you will know what application you can try to use to open it and see if you can identify it.

How do you plan to move anything? I assume you don't have network so can't do it that way. And you don't have Dynamix File Manager plugin which would allow you to work with files directly on the server.

I mostly used Midnight Commander (mc at the command line, built-in) as a file manager on the server before Dynamix File Manager plugin was invented.

Of course command line is another method.

But I do have a reason for asking. There are possible pitfalls when moving or copying files with mc or command line.

That pool is part of user shares. Probably not much danger given the screwed-up paths, but the usual advice is to never mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files.

Linux doesn't know that a user share path and a disk path might be referring to the same file, and so it will allow you to accidentally specify paths where the source and destination are actually the same file. This causes it to try to overwrite what it is trying to read, resulting in an empty file.

The way around this is to only copy or move from disk to disk, or from user share to user share, and never from disk to user share or user share to disk.

Another thing that can happen when moving from user share to user share. Linux can decide to just change the path instead of actually moving the file, since that is more efficient. This will result in the file staying on the same disk, but at a different path. The way around this is to copy (not move) so a new file is created at the destination in conformance with the user share settings, then delete from source.

Thanks for all your help so far. I used Dynamix to copy lost+found folder from 450gb to 900gb disk3- is there anything special I need to do to pull the files back into the shares?

For example, inside /lost+found, there are dirs like /3d, /project, like you'd normally have such directories across multiple disks. If I move these folders into the root dir on disk3, will unraid find them?