Urgent help with Cache Pool!

Go to solution Solved by Sptz87,

Hi all!

So I may have screwed up. I have one nvme ssd as my cache pool, all appdata / appdata backup / etc is there. I wanted to add a second nvme ssd into the pool. So naively, I took the array offline and just added the new nvme and it showed it's unmountable as seen below:

image.thumb.png.c4c5ccb7e5372d604ce178657f556dd3.png

So I took it down and now I can't remove the second nvme from the pool. It always shows as missing. 

576188572_CleanShot2024-02-13at15_13.32@2x.thumb.png.fbf75cf315edbc2c3b0cc3a9ac2edfac.png

How can I actually backup the data in the first NVME so I can bring both nvmes in the cache pool online in order to format them etc?

Thank you!!

I noticed that I could actually remove the second one from the pool after all. Had to tick "yes, start array" as it would remove the second ssd.

I did and it's still unmountable even though it wasn't formatted at all?!

475364659_CleanShot2024-02-13at15_39.01@2x.thumb.png.f08a423b9d06c7a9c06fe1630db07011.png

Did I just lose all my appdata? :S I do have one appdata backup thankfully. But is there a way to actually recover it manually?!

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

XFS is single device only, so maybe doing a file system check now may help.

Diagnostics may show more info.

How do I do that? :/ 

Downloaded the diagnostics file but there's an insane amount. The problem is that the docker.img is also in this drive, so docker service doesn't even start. but that's not the most important at the moment, as both appdata and docker.img are there. 

Just to reiterate. I added the second ssd drive and started the array and it showed it wasnt mountable as it shows now even with just the initial one. No formats were done to the first / original drive.

Here: The correct way to proceed in such a case is to follow the procedure for checking and repairing the file system. The vast majority of the time this will repair the disk that was previously showing as unmountable and now it will mount correctly and all your data will be intact. If you are not sure how to proceed then ask a question in the Unraid forums.

It has a dead link: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/troubleshooting/storage-management.md/#checking-a-file-system

Edited by Sptz87

You might need to check that Unraid still thinbs the drive is xfs format as it might have auto-changed it to be btrfs format when you changed it to be multi-drive.   If that is the case clicking on the drive (with array stopped) and changing format to explicitly be xfs may be required.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You might need to check that Unraid still thinbs the drive is xfs format as it might have auto-changed it to be btrfs format when you changed it to be multi-drive.   If that is the case clicking on the drive (with array stopped) and changing format to explicitly be xfs may be required.

That was my first reaction, until I expanded the first attached picture. It clearly shows a 2 device pool with XFS as the format. I'd classify that as a bug.

• Solution

Ok, I was able to salvage it! 

I just had to reduce the cache pool array to 1 device. That was the reason why it was unmountable! 

So, I'm right now manually moving everything to the array so that I can then move it back when I format both SSDs (appdata, etc). Or is there a more gracious way of doing this?