Cannot Start Array - "Wrong Pool State - Cache - Too many missing/wrong disks"

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The error is about the cache pool, not the array, was there supposed to be another cache device? Post the output of:

btrfs fi show

image.png.7535f605431846b6a66ad8085a95b6b5.png

Here you go - Yea one of my cache disks seemed to have failed a while back, and then 7 went offline recently. Should I attempt to rebuild the cache pool? Thanks so much for the replys, both of you.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

Should there be a disk7?    Currently the array is unprotected as you have single parity and a missing disk7.

Yes! I believe disk 7 failed recently - Is it ok to 'erase' it, then readd it to the array, and start? Should that be my first move, or should i work on rebuilding the cache/parity drive next? 

Truly appreciate the help. 

Edited by funcrush
wording
8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Are you intending to replace disk7, or are you looking to copy its data elsewhere and take the actions required to remove it from Unraid?

I was planning on just pulling that drive, and replacing it with a spare I have around (or I can purchase another drive of the same size, but i doublt thats necessary?)

Whats my best course of action in your opinion?

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unassign the currently assigned pool member, start array, stop array, re-assign both pools members, (sdb and nvme0n1), start the array and post new diags, array should now start and also allows us to see if the emulated disk7 is mounting.

Working on that now. 

7 minutes ago, funcrush said:

FYI when I set disk 7 to unassigned, and attempted to start the pool I ended up with the same initial error. 

That wasn't what you were told to do, but now that you have unassigned disk7, leave it unassigned.

Unassign the currently assigned pool member, start array, stop array, re-assign both pools members, (sdb and nvme0n1), start the array and post new diags, array should now start and also allows us to see if the emulated disk7 is mounting.

Pool here is NOT talking about your array disks.

15 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Emulated disk7 mounted so you can rebuild, you removed one of the pool devices making it a single device pool, was that your intention?

I think one of the pool devices a while back i had issues with, and wasnt able to re-add it, things were working fine at that point without that device so I didnt really address it. I dont believe i did that recently, and if I did - it wasnt my intention. 

Should I attempt to add that device back to the pool? I'd like to rebuild, but not sure how to initiate that process. 

It was done as of last diags, because only one of the pool devices was assigned when the array was started, you can add it anytime to create a redundant pool.

To rebuild disk7 see here:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

Thank you!

I'm running through that process, however at step 3 "Start the array" I have no ability to  do it as i get the error  "wrong pool state".  I just want to be sure i'm making the correct changes before moving forward as I dont want to cause any more issues. If anyone is open to helping me today via discord, I'd happy reimburse you for your time. PM me here if you want to connect. 

image.png.58f6d796a29927f37c38e8fc86313e03.png