upgrade cache drive

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Is the current cache pool a SSD or a hard disk?   What will the 4Tb one be?  What file system is it using?

Alternatively if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread we can get this information from there.   it is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

4 minutes ago, squirrellydw said:

I must be missing this part, could you post a screen shot of where this is?  I can't seem to find it.

Click on Shares and change to "Yes" all User Shares with "Use cache disk:" set to "Only" or "Prefer"

You are over thinking it 😀 (see the image)

Capture1.PNG

• Like 1

You can do it with the array started. Just click on the relevant shares (i.e. appadata, apps, cachetmp and downloads in your case) to change the setting.

I think that with the newer versions of unraid, the guide is a bit outdated and the setting "use disk cache" has been changed a bit. You must set the primary storage to "cache" and the secondary storage to "array".

The effect of these new settings will occur next time the mover is called, whether manually or upon schedule, meaning that all the data from these shares (currently stores only on your cache drive) will be moved to your array.

Edited by Opawesome
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Opawesome said:

guide is a bit outdated and the setting "use disk cache" has been changed a bit. You must set the primary storage to "cache" and the secondary st

And set Mover action appropriately depending on if you are moving to the array before changing cache, or moving back to cache after changing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Opawesome said:

I think that with the newer versions of unraid, the guide is a bit outdated and the setting "use disk cache" has been changed a bit. You must set the primary storage to "cache" and the secondary storage to "array".

The guide has separate list of steps for 6.1.5 and earlier and the 6.12 series so is up to date as far as I know

42 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The guide has separate list of steps for 6.1.5 and earlier and the 6.12 series so is up to date as far as I know

You may want to double check this 😀. I really only see instructions referring to "cache only" and "cache prefer" (i.e. versions before 6.12 if I am not mistaken) on this page : https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#backing-up-the-pool-to-the-array

Edited by Opawesome