Random full system crash with no apparent cause

Hello,

In the last few days, my server started randomly crashing and rebooting. I couldnt find anything useful when reading the logs and I've already configured the logs to be mirrored to the flash drive.

If anyone with more experience with this kind of troubleshooting could give me a hand, it would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached the diagnostic file to this thread. The last crash occured on "28 February 2024 03:18", according to the uptime indicator.

Thank you!

birdskeep-diagnostics-20240228-0832.zip

I am diving into this conversation. I noticed that TheBird956 is running Unraid 6.12.8. I have 7 Unraid servers that I manage. I recently upgraded 2 of them from 6.12.6 to 6.12.8 and now both of the upgraded servers are randomly shutting down. I have Virtual Syslog Server running on a Windows machine in the office of one of the upgraded Unraid servers to hopefully catch some log files of what is going on. I am posting something here so that others can add if they are experiencing similar issues.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TheBird956 said:

I just noticed I have a bunch of errors at the end of the previous syslog file (included in the provious diagnostic file). I'm not too sure if they are usefull right now since they are from the parity check tuning plugin

They can be ignored as they are an internal check simply reporting a state I did not think would occur.   You could delete the parity.check.tuning.automatic and parity.check.tuning.manual file from the plugins folder on the flash drive to stop them being reported.     

They should also have been removed during a boot sequence as you are on the latest release of the plugin.  Have you rebooted since it was installed?   If so although this is a different issue I would appreciate it if you could turn on the 'testing' mode of logging in the plugin's settings; reboot the server and then post new diagnostics taken after the reboot so I can see if I can determine why this was not tidied up during the reboot.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

They can be ignored as they are an internal check simply reporting a state I did not think would occur.   You could delete the parity.check.tuning.automatic and parity.check.tuning.manual file from the plugins folder on the flash drive to stop them being reported.     

They should also have been removed during a boot sequence as you are on the latest release of the plugin.  Have you rebooted since it was installed?   If so although this is a different issue I would appreciate it if you could turn on the 'testing' mode of logging in the plugin's settings; reboot the server and then post new diagnostics taken after the reboot so I can see if I can determine why this was not tidied up during the reboot.

Here you go

birdskeep-diagnostics-20240301-1031.zip

33 minutes ago, TheBird956 said:

Thanks.  According to those diagnostics the state information WAS cleared up during the boot sequence and you are no  longer getting those error messages from the plugin.

If by any chance you manage to get this symptom again then I would appreciate if you can provide any information about what you might have done to create it and if possible any new diagnostics taken at the time.

18 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Thanks.  According to those diagnostics the state information WAS cleared up during the boot sequence and you are no  longer getting those error messages from the plugin.

If by any chance you manage to get this symptom again then I would appreciate if you can provide any information about what you might have done to create it and if possible any new diagnostics taken at the time.

Maybe the crashes Iǜe been having were preventing the state from being properly updated? Lately, the only reason the server is rebooting was because of the crash and this is the first time since I opened this thread that I manually triggered a reboot.

4 minutes ago, TheBird956 said:

Maybe the crashes Iǜe been having were preventing the state from being properly updated? Lately, the only reason the server is rebooting was because of the crash and this is the first time since I opened this thread that I manually triggered a reboot.

It should not have mattered that you were having crashes.   The trigger for the error message you were getting (which was meant to be fixed in the last plugin update) was exactly you having a crash during a parity check that was manually initiated. 

It is quite possible that you shutting down tidily meant that these conditions were not met.   That is why I am interested in seeing if you can get it again in the future and what leads up to it.

Ok, I'll keep an eye out.

Just for the record, I noticed that a task in Jellyfin (Generate BIF Files) was scheduled around the time of the crash. I disabled it just in case, I will see tomorrow if the crash still occurs. (I have no reason to believe this is the cause, other than the scheduled time)

• 2 months later...

The issue never completely disappeared, but wasn't as present after changing settings in Jellyfin. It stopped being always at the same time of the day though...

It just crashed again, so I am attaching to this message the latest diagnostic files. Also, I've configured more metrics on the system and an external Prometheus instance is scraping those metrics. Hopefully there is something useful in there.

https://snapshots.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/ZeOO2xqaPsgjQGgYRlkQibwhJZz3R3vX

You can see no metrics were collected between 11:43 and 11:45, this is the time when the server was rebooting. Metrics are scraped every 10 seconds.

The only thing I notice is the high cpu package temperatures, but I don't know if it got too high right before the crash.

birdskeep-diagnostics-20240517-1146.zip

I assume the diags are after rebooting? It does also have the syslog-previous, but don't see anything there other than read errors on disk1, which are logged as a disk problem btw, and based on SMART I would replace that disk ASAP, though that will be unrelated to the crashing.

Yes, the diagnostics file was right after the reboot. I would love to know how to have one right before the crash, but its just unpredictable.

I noticed the errors in SMART started occurring after a crash/unclean shutdown, tough I am expecting it to be stable right now. The read errors reported by Unraid also stopped. I am running an extended test to see if it is getting worse. What have you noticed exactly? Maybe I am not reading it correctly.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You can't ge the diagnostics but you can get the syslog.   Just setup the Syslog Server.   If you submit a syslog, try to give an approximate time when the reboot occurred. 

Here's everything for today. The crash recovered around 11:45 (line 94)

For reference, here's the syslog configuration: image.thumb.png.ccbbc017897c98f11fabd700781542e7.png

syslog-10.10.10.40.log

Edited by TheBird956
Replaced occured with recovered

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this can be a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I received a replacement drive, and the server crashed when rebuilding the array and will not post anymore.

I unplugged the new drive and the server is able to post again.

I am starting to believe all this is caused by the 600W psu, including the random crashes. The new drive has a higer power load (WD40EFRX vs WD80EFPX)

Hopefully the crash during the rebuild wont cause more problems.