USB dead, FLASH backup maybe on array

Hi guys,

i came back from a holiday to find my server in a broken state. It wont boot from the USB and the USB is also not accessible anymore (Windows and Linux).

The UNRAID Version should be fairly recent because i did an update (6.12.x)

Sadly i have currently no backup ZIP to restore the USB. There should be a backup of the Flash Device made with LuckyBackup on the disks.

I have 2x4GB HDDs and 2 SSDs for Cache.

I have plugged them all in to another PC with Debian.

The HDDs both show data. But both show the same folders ("Shares") and some are missing?

Mainly the Backup Share i hoped to find but its not there.

I think they where formated as btfrs but i dont know anymore... One should be the parity drive but i thought then it would not be accessible?

The SSDs are not accessible.

I would now create a new USB and see how far i could get, but the best way would be to find the backup folders somehow to restore the USB Zip that should be backed up... 🥴

I hope someone could give me a little guidance on what to do next.

There is still important data on the drives and i would rather not loose it :)

I also hope i didn't f*ck up on the LuckyBackup config and thats what caused the failure 🥴

Kind regards and thanks for any help

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

One should be the parity drive but i thought then it would not be accessible?

If this was 1 data drive and 1 parity drive then this is a special case where it just works out that parity is a mirror of the data drive.  In any other case one would not expect the parity drive to be mountable.

Sounds as if the share you have for backups could have been set up to be on the 'cache' pool?.   Do you know what file system that was using and whether it was set up for redundancy?

Do you by any chance have the Connect plugin installed?  if so you may have set that up to make a backup in the cloud.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your answers so far.

The flash drive is broken and inaccessible from either windows or linux (at least with normal automount)
I tried fsck and and this is the output:

FS-corrupt.png.87b39e655e956072f912e9ef581af199.png

I also tried to mount the SSDs again and they seem to be BTRFS but i dont know how to mount or use them. And yes, they were set up as redundant mirrors:

Screenshot_20240305_143315.png.b77b74f0f34377a9956d2b2540f598b8.png

And nope, my only hope for a backup of the flash drive is on the array or cache...

Edited by Ferdinand
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You might want to make a bootable UBS drive with a Live Linux distribution on it.  Use it to boot your Unraid server and see if you can find the backup  of your Unraid flash drive on one of the data disks. 

Thank you, i finally managed to mount the SSDs and found the Backup folders!

I now have a copy of the previous flash drive 🎉

Should i now be able to proceed by copying the config folder or do i need more from the backup?

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/#manual-method

I already have created a new USB with UNRAID and a working License Key

Edited by Ferdinand

BTW, you can make that backup of the Flash drive directly to your download directory/folder on your PC by clicking on the 'Flash' under "boot Deice" on the MAIN tab of the GUI.  Then click here:

image.png.0fba7371e39eb7f4aa3f401079394f5c.png

I am posting for more for the other Unraid users who are also making backups of their flash drive that end up on the array than for you.  If you are doing this, realize that the backup will not be readily available when you most need it!!!! 

• Upvote 2