Disaster.... I think.

So, I had a dual-parity setup and I had two drives die. At the same time my engine in one car went and the transmission in the other (fun times).

I had to allocate the funds to the vehicles and was praying the other disks would hold up. Turns out, one more decided to flip out.

Now I'm not sure what to do as I can't seem to "fix" things with three, poopy drives. Is all lost?

Seeking some guru advice... 

image.thumb.png.9fb67cd9ce618ae6f0f658dd7f1a0456.png

Your screenshot on;y shows 2 drives with issues?

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

in terms of the 2 drives that are showing as “not installed” what actually happened?   They should not normally get into that state without some action taken on your part.    Do you still have the disks that should be there intact?

3 minutes ago, Kristopher said:

Ack, apologies, I forgot to attach the Diags. Here they are.

I still have all the drives, the two are still "installed" and the thrid drive is the one with thousands of errors.

If I try to replace that drive, it tells me "too many bad or missing disks". 

angband-diagnostics-20240307-0943.zip 317.97 kB · 0 downloads

have you attempted any recovery action so far?   I would normally have expected the missing drives to show as being emulated which is not happening.

have you tried to see if either of the ‘nor installed’ drives can be mounted (using read-only mode) in Unassigned Devices?   It is not infrequent for drives to be disabled by Unraid due to a write failure without the drive having actually failed.   You have a lot of drives so perhaps you can provide the serial numbers of the not installed drives (the last 4 characters would be enough) so we can see what (if anything) they are showing in the SMART reports.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

have you attempted any recovery action so far?   I would normally have expected the missing drives to show as being emulated which is not happening.

have you tried to see if either of the ‘nor installed’ drives can be mounted (using read-only mode) in Unassigned Devices?   It is not infrequent for drives to be disabled by Unraid due to a write failure without the drive having actually failed.   You have a lot of drives so perhaps you can provide the serial numbers of the not installed drives (the last 4 characters would be enough) so we can see what (if anything) they are showing in the SMART reports.

They don't appear in the unassigned area... 

image.thumb.png.3c760a5850dcef2c3f2c011a8ba7fd5b.png

1 hour ago, Kristopher said:

ST4000DM004-2CV104_ZFN0W6JK. /dev/sdae

This disk is not giving a full SAMRT report, check replace cables and post new diags after array start.

Is the other disk still missing? If yes you should also check/replace cables on that one.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

This disk is not giving a full SAMRT report, check replace cables and post new diags after array start.

Is the other disk still missing? If yes you should also check/replace cables on that one.

I'll have to wait until I get home to do that. 

5 hours ago, Kristopher said:

the two are still "installed" and the thrid drive is the one with thousands of errors.

If I try to replace that drive, it tells me "too many bad or missing disks"

Since you have dual parity, you can only have 2 disks needing to be rebuilt. You have to rebuild at least one of the other two disks before it will let you replace that third disk.

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

would normally have expected the missing drives to show as being emulated which is not happening.

Not sure what you mean there. All disks are mounted, including the 2 "not installed"/emulated disks.

Starting over with XFS would be a simple way to fix all this, and you could just leave out any disks that are actually bad.

But all your files would be gone except perhaps those 2 "not installed" disks that are XFS.

If you have a way to restore from backup that might be just as fast as all the moving/copying/reformatting/repeat as needed required to convert all those disks to XFS. And simpler so less error-prone.

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

Starting over with XFS would be a simple way to fix all this, and you could just leave out any disks that are actually bad.

But all your files would be gone except perhaps those 2 "not installed" disks that are XFS.

If you have a way to restore from backup that might be just as fast as all the moving/copying/reformatting/repeat as needed required to convert all those disks to XFS. And simpler so less error-prone.

So, if I buy a new license and key, do I have to do anything to the old disks? 

Remove the partitions? Or just assign them and format them XFS?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure why you are talking about buying a new licence?

My USB got blacklisted a long while ago, so I've been stuck on using 6.6.6.

Seems like a good opportunity to do it up right with XFS and a new key etc.

Edited by Kristopher
clarifiaction
5 hours ago, Kristopher said:

My USB got blacklisted a long while ago, so I've been stuck on using 6.6.6.

As long as you have a valid licence file you can put it into the 'config' folder on a new USB stick and you will be taken through the licence transfer process automatically.