We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

WD 3TB Externals - 109.99 (Costco)

graywolf

Not sure if nation wide or just the NC area but Costco currently has WD 3TB Externals for 109.99 (limit 2)

Know that some folks have mentioned some externals could be taken apart to convert to internals, not sure if these can or not.

But if you are needing Externals, not a bad price considering the current situation

From what I understand there are some [certainly not all] external Western Digital drives that have the USB controller as part of the drive, so they can't be used as normal internal drives.

You need to be very careful opening the enclosure as you may not be able to claim warranty as a bare drive - if you look up the serial it will probably come back as an OEM unit, meaning it needs to go back to your place of purchase inside it's [hopefully not broken] enclosure.

Amazing deal considering the currently shortage, though - wish I could get them for that price in Australia.

The only other problem with this - is the horrible quality of WD.

I'll never buy another drive from them again after I got one DOA that I REALLY needed and had problems determining where the problem was.  (new hardware all at once)

I wanted the 64bit buffer - figured I'd risk it even though it had horrible reviews...

Piece of junk.  The only WD I'd buy is a black - and I would do that without hesitation.  Their green drives are pieces of crap in my opinion.  (And I look for opportunities to express that opinion to others :) )

The only other problem with this - is the horrible quality of WD.

I'll never buy another drive from them again after I got one DOA that I REALLY needed and had problems determining where the problem was.  (new hardware all at once)

I wanted the 64bit buffer - figured I'd risk it even though it had horrible reviews...

Piece of junk.  The only WD I'd buy is a black - and I would do that without hesitation.  Their green drives are pieces of crap in my opinion.  (And I look for opportunities to express that opinion to others :) )

I'll only buy the BLACK version also, since they are made better  and that's why WD puts a 5 year warranty on them. More then half of any other WD drive I have ever purchased has failed. The green ones, almost all of them.

Can't say I agree with the WD bashing.  Sure they've had their troubles, but so has every other drive manufacturer at times.  My personal server runs on almost exclusively WD Greens and I haven't had a single premature failure.  Preclear your drives, watch your SMART reports, and WD Green drives are just as reliable as any other.  WD Greens also run on about 75% of the power as other green drives (1.5A vs 2A). 

That said, I too have heard what ConnectivIT described about some external WD drives using a special USB controller, so breaking open an external drive for use in unRAID is a gamble.

When I took my 500GB's out of the external case there wasn't anything special other than an adapter plugged into them to make the USB work. Of course I don't know how that will differ from these 3TB drives.

As for WD Greens. I use them exclusively as well. Never had a problem that they have caused.

I like WD greens but I have had 10 drives RMA'd (an EADS replacement RMA went back to WD for a second RMA after 2 months).  That is out of about 30 EADS and EARS drives total so about 33% failure rate so not very good as of late.  Most but not all of those 10 were DOA.  Now back when 250GB drives were the sweet spot I got 8 WD enterprise drives and only lost 1.  Mater of fact I have a couple of them as boot drives to this day so 6-8 years of service.

I like WD greens but I have had 10 drives RMA'd (an EADS replacement RMA went back to WD for a second RMA after 2 months).  That is out of about 30 EADS and EARS drives total so about 33% failure rate so not very good as of late.  Most but not all of those 10 were DOA.  Now back when 250GB drives were the sweet spot I got 8 WD enterprise drives and only lost 1.  Mater of fact I have a couple of them as boot drives to this day so 6-8 years of service.

I have very similar stats regarding WD green drives that are DOA or are D very soon after preclearing. I've even had RMA'd drives DOA. In fact I still have two to RMA, and another two are showing signs of failure soon judging by the SMART reports and number of errors in the unraid gui.

I was just told yesterday my work put in an order for 140 WD 3TB drives. I believe they are going to be either blacks or enterprise. Sad thing is I know they are ordering more than they need because they know there will be some DOA's. LOL

LOL..

We ordered 60 Hitachi 3TB drives to fill Two 24 drive Backup servers. they though the same thing, they would have several DOA's.

Nope, the first 48 all worked. we have 10 sitting on top of the server for spares..

(in case you did the math... yes, 2 are missing ~shrug~ was not me..)

as far as this thread.

I have heard from other sources. these are green EZRX drive in them. so you should be able to pop one open and use it.

I was just told yesterday my work put in an order for 140 WD 3TB drives. I believe they are going to be either blacks or enterprise. Sad thing is I know they are ordering more than they need because they know there will be some DOA's. LOL

Smart company, ordering when prices are up %200?

They already had a quote from their distributor before the floods and where recently told they can not honor the bid they submitted due to the floods. Also when you need space for data sometimes money is no object. In this case they are building two storage arrays and the cost of the drives and hardware is nothing compared to what they need it for.

They already had a quote from their distributor before the floods and where recently told they can not honor the bid they submitted due to the floods. Also when you need space for data sometimes money is no object. In this case they are building two storage arrays and the cost of the drives and hardware is nothing compared to what they need it for.

Exactly, sometimes the needs out way the money involved in buying the equipment.

Archived