UR handles 2 disks like 1

Hi guys, 

trying to switch from Proxmox to Unraid atm. Nearly everything works like a charm but i have small but annoying problem with my HDDs.

I got 4x 2TB SATA HDDs, they are connected via a Fujitsu Primergy RX1330 M1 (quite old hardware i know)

2x WD HDDs  (working atm.) &

2x OS (ST2000DM001) HDDs (and with probably same Serial/IDs?)

OS is like Seagate (idk where i go these disk, they are only labeled with "OS" and not Seagate)

Now the problem:

I cant add the Seagate disks properly (WD is working). I can only select one SG disks the other is mounted/connected and working but not displayed for dropdown selection in array GUI. 

image.png.19cde6b2f5bf3398cb0eaadde9aabd08.png

Most of the time its displayed like this. 

Sometimes i can also see the 4th disk like this:

image.thumb.png.adabf3e06876f16f04d11b8d06966d73.png

Log entries say:

emhttpd: device /dev/sdb problem getting id

image.png.f6fcc8b59b400b8ab75843874d0fefd7.png

i already tried changing the UUID but it did not worked either :(

also tried chaning the SATA ports,  but same problem (already thought its sata controllers fault)

Terminal output of lsdsk: 

image.png.732d18439f805b286829694a587523ba.pngimage.png.ccb9a99d671d3838f6730ee2dba551e7.png

sda1 is USB stick (boot)

sdb is already formatted. 

In the 2nd screenshot we can see that the OS HDDs arent really getting detected right by Unraid (Serial 00000000? Wtf? :D

Is there any way i can change the Serialnr via terminal? Will prooobably work then right?

Edit: Question: How is Unraid identifying disks? Really by the Serial? That cant be right or? I know a lot manufacturers who aren´t putting all "meta" data on their chips (yes budget ones i know)

Have a awesome weekend &
best regards
Simon

Edited by DeDude
Added questions & more screeshots
1 hour ago, DeDude said:

they are only labeled with "OS" and not Seagate

This sounds like your machine has hardware RAID enabled and these 2 drives are in an array called OS... See if you can remove that and make sure the drives are accessible directly.

1 hour ago, DeDude said:

Edit: Question: How is Unraid identifying disks? Really by the Serial? That cant be right or? I know a lot manufacturers who aren´t putting all "meta" data on their chips (yes budget ones i know)

HDDs always have proper identification, if you don't see it it's because there's something in the middle masquerading and not giving direct access.

Edited by Kilrah
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

This sounds like your machine has hardware RAID enabled and these 2 drives are in an array called OS... See if you can remove that and make sure the drives are accessible directly.

HDDs always have proper identification, if you don't see it it's because there's something in the middle masquerading and not giving direct access.

Do you have any idea how to undo this? 

RAID is completely disabled btw. I bought these two OS HDDs from a used NAS. Already formatted them dozens of times. Nothing helps :/

Edited by DeDude

Wow. Both drives are working in freakin Windows. Thats a statement. I dont know why Unraid is using Anti-Cheat/DRM techniques to identify a HDD - just do it with the volume ID maybe? Or would that be too easy? Gees, i dont wanna buy a new HDD just for this :'D

2 minutes ago, DeDude said:

Wow. Both drives are working in freakin Windows. Thats a statement. I dont know why Unraid is using Anti-Cheat/DRM techniques to identify a HDD - just do it with the volume ID maybe? Or would that be too easy? Gees, i dont wanna buy a new HDD just for this :'D

Never heard of 2 HDD drives really having the same serial number before.   I feel there must be something that can be done, but no idea what.

17 minutes ago, DeDude said:

I dont know why Unraid is using Anti-Cheat/DRM techniques to identify a HDD - just do it with the volume ID maybe?

Couple factors. Unraid runs in RAM, which effectively means each boot is like a new install. The way linux handles drive identification normally is /dev/sdX or a variant, where each drive that is detected gets the next designation. There are so many things that can change that designation from one boot to the next, and also needing the ability to successfully boot on widely different hardware, the choice was made to identify by something that is supposed to be unique and not modifiable by something written to the drive.

Honestly, this is the first time I remember seeing a spinning rust hard drive not give a unique serial number when attached directly to a compatible SATA controller. Many times USB bridges or controllers can manipulate what is passed to the OS, so that's fairly common to need a plain vanilla SATA connection.

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Couple factors. Unraid runs in RAM, which effectively means each boot is like a new install. The way linux handles drive identification normally is /dev/sdX or a variant, where each drive that is detected gets the next designation. There are so many things that can change that designation from one boot to the next, and also needing the ability to successfully boot on widely different hardware, the choice was made to identify by something that is supposed to be unique and not modifiable by something written to the drive.

Honestly, this is the first time I remember seeing a spinning rust hard drive not give a unique serial number when attached directly to a compatible SATA controller. Many times USB bridges or controllers can manipulate what is passed to the OS, so that's fairly common to need a plain vanilla SATA connection.

Hi @JonathanM,

thanks for explanation. Well i dont really often check hardware serial numbers, but seems like a cheap HDD manufacturer would/could do this.

I saw a way how to manipulate the HW ID on OS-level (like man in the middle), could this be a solution?
Also it would be completely normal to use the Vol ID. This ID would not change in a lifecycle of a running NAS (besides formatting the whole drive), but can be easily manipulated.. 

BR
Simon