Identify GPU renderD12x

I currently have an intel i5 14500 cpu which has an iGPU but also have an Nvidia GPU in my machine. I am trying to work out which render number correlates to which gpu. I would “assume” because I added the nvidia gpu later it would be renderD129 and the intel is renderD128. Is my assumption correct or is there a way to be 100% sure. I’d like to use the intel iGPU for things like Plex, jellfyfin but for file flows / tdarr I’d like to use the nvidia card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

I currently have an intel i5 14500 cpu which has an iGPU but also have an Nvidia GPU in my machine. I am trying to work out which render number correlates to which gpu. I would “assume” because I added the nvidia gpu later it would be renderD129 and the intel is renderD128. Is my assumption correct or is there a way to be 100% sure. I’d like to use the intel iGPU for things like Plex, jellfyfin but for file flows / tdarr I’d like to use the nvidia card.

Use

root@computenode:~# ls -l /dev/dri/by-path/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8 Apr 20 07:42 pci-0000:00:02.0-card -> ../card2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 20 07:42 pci-0000:00:02.0-render -> ../renderD130
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8 Apr 20 07:42 pci-0000:09:00.0-card -> ../card0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 20 07:42 pci-0000:09:00.0-render -> ../renderD128
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8 Apr 21 12:54 pci-0000:0d:00.0-card -> ../card1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 20 07:42 pci-0000:0d:00.0-render -> ../renderD129
root@computenode:~# 

You will then be able to match PCI ID to dev.

root@computenode:~# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation AlderLake-S GT1 (rev 0c)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A770] (rev 08)
09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117GLM [Quadro T400 Mobile] (rev a1)
0d:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 24 [Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M] (rev c7)
root@computenode:~# 

I have been working on the very same problem, but with a twist.  I added a P2000 to add horsepower to TDARR, but doing so disabled my Plex hardware transcoding via QSV on my i5-12500.  Interestingly, I don't even seem to have two cards to choose from.  With the iGPU and the P2000 installed, I only see Card0 and renderD128.

root@UNBUCKET:~# ls -l /dev/dri/by-path/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8 Apr 21 20:13 pci-0000:01:00.0-card -> ../card0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 21 20:13 pci-0000:01:00.0-render -> ../renderD128
root@UNBUCKET:~# 

I'm wondering if maybe this is a motherboard thing where it disables the iGPU when another GPU is installed.  I haven't yet attached a monitor to check the BIOS for a setting that might disable the feature, if it exists.  I also might try not installing the P2000 in the first slot and see what happens.

If I can get the iGPU and the P2000 to coexist, I would be fine using the iGPU for my modest Plex transcoding needs while I leave the P2000 for TDARR.  Down the road when TDARR is finished with existing files, and I only have new files to process, I might use the P2000 for Plex or simply remove it.

I have been working on the very same problem, but with a twist.  I added a P2000 to add horsepower to TDARR, but doing so disabled my Plex hardware transcoding via QSV on my i5-12500.  Interestingly, I don't even seem to have two cards to choose from.  With the iGPU and the P2000 installed, I only see Card0 and renderD128.

root@UNBUCKET:~# ls -l /dev/dri/by-path/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8 Apr 21 20:13 pci-0000:01:00.0-card -> ../card0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 21 20:13 pci-0000:01:00.0-render -> ../renderD128
root@UNBUCKET:~# 

I'm wondering if maybe this is a motherboard thing where it disables the iGPU when another GPU is installed.  I haven't yet attached a monitor to check the BIOS for a setting that might disable the feature, if it exists.  I also might try not installing the P2000 in the first slot and see what happens.

If I can get the iGPU and the P2000 to coexist, I would be fine using the iGPU for my modest Plex transcoding needs while I leave the P2000 for TDARR.  Down the road when TDARR is finished with existing files, and I only have new files to process, I might use the P2000 for Plex or simply remove it.

Check bios settings for iGPU. If it’s on Auto make sure you change it to on or enabled.

3 hours ago, jkBuckethead said:

but doing so disabled my Plex hardware transcoding via QSV on my i5-12500

4 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

change it to on or enabled

Don‘t forget to enable Multi Monitor support too if this is an option in your BIOS since this will ensure that the iGPU stays enabled if a dGPU is installed on most motherboards.

Yes, I was able to enable the iGPU in BIOS so that both are available within unraid and plex.

To the original poster's question, there was no need for me to determine which card/renderer represented which GPU.  Since I was already configured for transcoding with the iGPU, my plex config includes a Device pointing to /dev/dri/, a folder which now includes two cards and two renderers.  In the plex transcoder settings, I have options for Auto, Quadro P2000, and Alder Lake UHD 770.  I selected the Alder Lake option and I am able to HW transcode with the iGPU. 

Plex reverts to CPU transcoding if I choose the P2000.  This is likely because I haven't added the Nvidia variables or extra parameter usually required.  I may experiment with that later so I have the option, should the need arise.  Honestly, this is not a priority for me since I have the P2000 churning through files with TDARR, and the iGPU for my modest plex transcoding needs.

Edited by jkBuckethead