General help with my server

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello all! 

I have had Unraid for a couple of years now and finally migrated to new hardware. I used to use a Dell C2100 with 12 hard drive bays and 2 internal SSD bays. I moved to a SuperMicro X8DT6 with 24 bays and 4 internal SSD connections.

I watched a few @SpaceInvaderOne video's that have saved me more than once! I didn't however do my migration perfectly... I moved my drives over into the new server (with an additional 12 drives),  plugged my USB stick in and let Unraid do the rest. 

Ever since then I've had issues with speed or just general weirdness. I am attaching my diagnostics in the hopes that someone can take a look and see some smoking gun items... I will ask to be gentle with my feeble mind. I am sure there are plenty of issues that maybe someone else would have seen and fixed or even never had in the first place...

Two biggest issues I have are:

1. Either parity checking or a data rebuild after replacing a disk. I'm seeing speeds anywhere between 15MB/s to 28MB/s. I used to get an average of ~70MB/s

image.png.bd2e176624c8c46ce5184144d7883fab.png

2. If I go to /mnt/user/Media/TV and try to see the contents of the directory, There's nothing... I SSH into the server, navigate to that folder and try and list out the directory and I see 

/bin/ls: reading directory '.': Structure needs cleaning

I have done some research and I came across another post that suggested using the xfs_repair command. I wasn't sure which drive the issue was originating from so I ran the following command. 

for disk in /mnt/disk*; do echo "Checking $disk"; find "$disk/Media/TV" -type d -exec ls -ld {} \; ; done |grep clean

I got several returns showing 

find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/Star Trek The Next Generation’: Structure needs cleaning
find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/Seinfeld/Season 3’: Structure needs cleaning
find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/Modern.Family.S01.1080p.BluRay.x264-TENEIGHTY’: Structure needs cleaning
find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/Lost/Lost.S03’: Structure needs cleaning
find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/The Office (US)/Featurettes’: Structure needs cleaning
find: ‘/mnt/disk11/Media/TV/The Office (US)/Season 6’: Structure needs cleaning

I figured disk11 was the culprit. I tried to run xfs_repair on disk 11 and I got 

disk11: No such file or directory
disk11: No such file or directory

fatal error -- couldn't initialize XFS library

I saw that Disk11 was showing as failed in the UnRAID gui so I removed it and am rebuilding currently.

( I have also added the Smart report from my old Disk11 just in case it's useful in some way)

Any help provided would make me beyond grateful! 

chantry-server2-diagnostics-20240514-1722.zip chantry-server2-smart-Old Disk11.zip

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 2:16 AM, JorgeB said:

Check filesystem on disk11, run it without -n, then reboot to clear the logs and post new diags during a parity check.

Thank you for your response!

Working on that now. Had to wait for data rebuild to finish. 

Just to be clear, I am running "xfs_repair sdk" correct? (sdk is disk 11) 

The command seems to be doing SOMETHING as now I am seeing the following (attached video)

Edited by Chanchalanch
7 minutes ago, Chanchalanch said:

Just to be clear, I am running "xfs_repair sdk" correct? (sdk is disk 11) 

No - that is the wrong device name.   Even if it was the correct device name then running it that way would invalidate parity. Instead run it via the GUI (by clicking on the device on the Main tab) and Unraid will automatically use the correct device name and parity will be maintained.

• Upvote 1

@itimpi

Oops. I ran that command... How screwed am I? 

The output started with 

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...

Then ended after hours with 

Sorry, could not find valid secondary superblock

@JorgeB

I did run the command through the GUI AFTER I made my mistake and the output is attached as a txt file.

I also have attached diagnostics I got after a restart, while running a parity check. 

Thanks for all your help!

zfs_repair_GUI_output chantry-server2-diagnostics-20240516-1605.zip

Running with the wrong device name would almost certainly have done nothing as if no valid superblock can be found the repair process will not go any further.

Looking at the results of running from the GUI looks like it found a significant number of errors and corrected them.   Any files/folders for which the correct name could not be determined will have been put into a lost+found folder on the drive with cryptic numeric names.  Sorting these out is a manual process although the linux 'file' command can be used to at least determine the likely content type for each file.   However it is frequently much easier to recover the files from backups (if you have them).

• Like 1

@JorgeB

Not sure if this is what you were looking for but I opened the WebUI for DiskSpeed and here's what was output

Scanning Hardware
08:58:19 Spinning up hard drives
08:58:19 Scanning system storage
08:58:21 Scanning USB Bus
08:58:21 Scanning hard drives
08:58:28 Scanning storage controllers
08:58:29 Scanning USB hubs & devices
08:58:31 Scanning motherboard resources
08:58:32 Fetching known drive vendors from the Hard Drive Database
Lucee 6.0.1.83 Error (expression)
Message	Can't cast Complex Object Type Struct to String
Detail	Use Built-In-Function "serialize(Struct):String" to create a String from Struct
Stacktrace	The Error Occurred in
/var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 1851
1849:    } else {
1850:       if (ListFindNoCase("ADATA,Apacer,Corsair,KINGSTON,Netac,Patriot,PNY,Reletech,Sabrent,Seagate,XPG,ZHITAI",ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," "))) DriveData.Vendor=ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," ");
1851:       if (ListFindNoCase("Western Digital",ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," ") & " " & ListGetAt(DriveData,2," "))) DriveData.Vendor=ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," ") & " " & ListGetAt(DriveData,2," ");
1852:       if (ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," ") EQ "WD") DriveData[i].Vendor="Western Digital";
1853:       if (ListFirst(DriveData[i].Model," ") EQ "TEAM") DriveData[i].Vendor="Team Group";

called from /var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 1819
1817:    if (Left(DriveData[i].Model,9) EQ "GIGABYTE ") {DriveData[i].Vendor="GIGABYTE";DriveData[i].Model=Mid(DriveData[i].Model,10,999);}
1818: }
1819: if (Left(DriveData[i].Vendor,9) EQ "GIGABYTE ") {DriveData[i].Vendor="GIGABYTE";DriveData[i].Model=Mid(DriveData[i].Model,10,999);}
1820: if (Left(DriveData[i].Vendor,8) EQ "Sabrent ") {DriveData[i].Vendor="Sabrent";DriveData[i].Model=Mid(DriveData[i].Model,9,999);}
1821:

called from /var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 1633
1631:       <cfdump var=#cfhttp#>
1632:    </CFIF>
1633: </CFIF>
1634: <!--- Match the vendor case to what we have in the database --->
1635: <CFLOOP index="Key" list="#StructKeyList(HW)#">

Java Stacktrace	lucee.runtime.exp.ExpressionException: Can't cast Complex Object Type Struct to String
  at lucee.runtime.type.util.StructSupport.castToString(StructSupport.java:204)
  at lucee.runtime.op.Caster.toString(Caster.java:2105)
  at scancontrollers_cfm$cf.call_000152_000153(/ScanControllers.cfm:1851)
  at scancontrollers_cfm$cf.call_000152(/ScanControllers.cfm:1819)
  at scancontrollers_cfm$cf.call(/ScanControllers.cfm:1633)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:1059)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:951)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.ClassicAppListener._onRequest(ClassicAppListener.java:65)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.MixedAppListener.onRequest(MixedAppListener.java:45)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2715)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2701)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2672)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.Request.exe(Request.java:45)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl._service(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1259)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1205)
  at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:97)
  at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:51)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:623)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:200)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:144)
  at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:51)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:169)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:144)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:168)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:90)
  at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:481)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:130)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:670)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:93)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve.invoke(RemoteIpValve.java:761)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
  at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:346)
  at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:390)
  at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:63)
  at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:928)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1786)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:52)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1191)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:659)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:63)
  at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Timestamp	5/20/24 8:58:32 AM MDT

it looks like for whatever reason (not sure yet) DiskSpeed is having issues on my system. When I go to the WebUI I see what I posted before which contains a stacktrace. 

I looked in the logs and found 

20-May-2024 09:52:04.841 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in [4433] milliseconds
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by lucee.commons.lang.ClassUtil (jar:/opt/lucee/server/lucee-server/patches/6.0.1.83.lco) to constructor com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of lucee.commons.lang.ClassUtil
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

I've completely removed the docker and used the "cleanup Appdata" plugin to remove the config files, then reinstalled and I am still getting the same results. 

I can look further into this and see what's going on, but if you DO have any ideas... 😄

Thanks again!

On 5/20/2024 at 9:16 AM, JorgeB said:

Post of screenshot of the results, it will show a graph with the speeds, like this:

controller-benchmark.png.78dfb79756c2fb1

Well I got it running with some help from @jbartlett. I ran the benchmark and ended up with the following. It looks like Disk 15 (sdi) was the issue. I replaced it with another drive I had and the data rebuild is currentlyrunning at ~90MB/sec! 

Thanks for your help!

image.thumb.png.a2eaa68d16023de0f04cf3c34f441864.png

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I'd keep an eye out on that green one with the dip at the end, especially if it's the same model as the others. If another benchmark on that drive shows the same speeds, you will be limited by that drive like you were by sdi. Parity will follow the speeds of the lowest/slowest drive.

Keep in mind that you'll also want to do a controller benchmark (click the i icon to the right of the controller label). It doesn't matter how fast your drives are, if they can serve up data faster than your controller can handle, it won't be able to keep up with all drives active. The screenshot by JorgeB is an example of this. Note that this is really only a hindrance during parity or other highly data intensive operations, you'll likely never run into this issue otherwise.

Edited by jbartlett
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1