Cloning windows formatted hard drive for unraid

I have three 16 TB drive all formatted for Windows. I do also have cold storage backups for them, so this may not be as painful as it need to be. They are all formatted for Windows... And unassigned devices keeps, I don't know crashing or something. The drives just drop. 

I want to format them as xfs, or whatever is native to unraid. 

Does anyone have thoughts about the quickest way to do this, preferably without taking my server down. I know formatting one of the drives and then copying all the data would work, and I did that when I moved everything into cold storage, but God it's slow and tedious and arguably I would probably switch my cold storage too xfs format as well. 

I was debating buying a cloner, but it looks like for any of those the target drive needs to be bigger than the source drive and they are not. In fact they're the exact sam

e size.

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Do you mean you just want to format them xfs or copy the data first?

What ever gets the, to xfs with the data the fastest... Like I said. I'd love if one of those disk cloners that do like 30 gigs a min could just transfer the data with out reformatting the drive, but I believe they need to be the same format and destination needs to be bigger.   And just copying them is going to take forever.  Just curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Ok, so I set up Duplicity since that seems to be what people are suggesting...

Its going at a speed of 8.73 mbs and is going to take 15 days.... And that doesn't feel right. I can transfer from my pc to the disc on the network at 100 over ethernet, and these to drives are in a nas bay.

I did set it up to use -threads 1, but from what I read that should not make a difference. Is that wrong?

1 hour ago, HoochShepherd said:

Random question... Rsync continues to run in the background even if I close the browser window I assume?

tmux ensures the session stays running no matter how you start the rsync.

Unfortunately it's not included with Unraid by default, so it must be added.

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/justin-himself/2ce4af30dd9fc372df7aadb64fd4df35/raw/0a66faaa79670d1946ba3c8b1643f844406b7938/unraid-tmux.plg

• Upvote 1

Ok, so I have to wait till current session is done before I can close this:?image.thumb.png.16fe2bcd0fd3b42d5cd70ac83c681bf2.png

Cause keeping this open all the time seems counter productive.

Installing tmux and I can close it.? Can I kick it to the background and then close it now?  Its been a while since my old unix class.

Did you attach the correct screenshot? I don't see any rsync commands.

tmux must be run before a command is started AFAIK. There may be some secret squirrel high level way to move running commands to different sessions, but I'm not aware of

I linked a tmux starter guide in my comment, linked to the word tmux.

In a nutshell, you fire up tmux, it creates sessions that can be manipulated and continue running.

• Upvote 1