Slow Transfer Speeds on Unraid - Help Needed

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing slow transfer speeds on my Unraid server and could use some advice on how to improve performance. Here are the details:

System Configuration:

Array Devices - media pool:

• 2 Partity - 22TB Seagate IronWolf, 18TB Seagate IronWolf
  • 6 x 18TB Seagate IronWolf drives (XFS file system)
  • Disk 1: 18TB Seagate IronWolf (ZFS file system)

Cache Pool:

• 3 x 2TB TEAM SSDs (ZFS file system - raidz)

Plex Pool:

• 3 x 480GB Kingston SSDs (ZFS file system - raidz)

ZFS Pool - family/backup pool:

• 6 x 18TB Seagate IronWolf drives (ZFS file system - raidz2)

Spare:

• 1 x 18TB Seagate IronWolf (ZFS file system)

Issue:

I'm transferring large amounts of data using Krusader, and the transfer speeds are extremely slow:

• Transfer 1: 10.9 MiB/s (3 days and 9 hours remaining) - from Cache pool to Disk 7 in the array.
  • Transfer 2: 4.6 MiB/s (7 days and 8 hours remaining) - from a folder to a dataset on Disk 1 (/mnt/user/movies/ to /mnt/user/data/media/movies/).

Observations:

• The move on all XFS drives worked almost instantly, but on ZFS drives/pools, it seems super slow, there are peaks, but average 10-15MiB/s.
  • The mover does not get triggered, even manually, so I am transferring the files manually.
  • Every couple of hours, I get a notification error from "Fix Common Problems," but most of the time, when I go to the plugin, it is clear. Occasionally, I get the "Write Cache is disabled on cache 2" error, even though I have already enabled it.

What I've Tried:

• Tried using both Krusader and Unraid GUI file manager, with the same slow results.

Request:

I'm looking for advice on how to optimize my setup to achieve better transfer speeds. Here are some specific questions:

• Are there any specific settings or configurations for ZFS that could improve performance?
  • Other general tips to improve transfer speeds in Unraid?

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!r540-diagnostics-20240618-0159.zip

Screenshot 2024-06-18 011904.png

Screenshot 2024-06-18 011950.png

Screenshot 2024-06-18 013754.png

Edited by mdaryabe
Posted (edited)

Even when attempting a single transfer at a time, I encountered the same issue. I was just follwing Spaceinvador's video that suggested this setup.

The transfer on the left in the picture, is a "move" on the same disk. shouldn't this be almost instantly?

Edited by mdaryabe
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

At the moment don't recommend zfs for the array, as there is a known write performance issue, it's not a problem with pools.

Is that the whole problem here seeing as hes ZFS raid are in pools and not in the array?

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

At the moment don't recommend zfs for the array, as there is a known write performance issue, it's not a problem with pools.

If you take a look at the transfer on the right, its "reading" from a ZFS and "writing" to a XFS, do you think this is just because of ZFS problems or there might be something else wrong with it? how about a separate ZFS pool? do you not recommend having a ZFS Cache/pool at the moment?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Missed that, that cannot be the zfs array issue.

Any other writes going to the array at that time? Also make sure you try with turbo write enabled.

Turbo wrtie is on through TurboWrite Plugin. 

right now I have 2 transfers, I tried with just one, and I have the same problem.

1 - Cache(raidz) to Disk 7(xfs part of array)

2- Disk 1 to Disk 1 (initially was transfered from an old server using Rsync, already added new permissions to all file/folders with new permissions. essentially from a folder to a dataset on Disk 1 (/mnt/user/movies/ to /mnt/user/data/media/movies/) at least thats what i think it is. 

Screenshot 2024-06-18 084311.png

Edited by mdaryabe
  • Solution
11 minutes ago, mdaryabe said:

Turbo wrtie is on through TurboWrite Plugin.

Uninstall the plugin and enable turbo write manually in Disk Settings.

11 minutes ago, mdaryabe said:

Cache(raidz) to Disk 7(xfs part of array)

Do this test again with large files but using Windows explorer, and post a screenshot of the transfer speed graph.

12 minutes ago, mdaryabe said:

Disk 1 to Disk 1

Disk to disk transfer will always be slow, and turbo write cannot help for this.

• Like 1