App instantly identifies tv episode by listeneing to it

Brian B.

I just used this today because of your post and it easy picked up MASH Season 6, Episode 5.

Thats cool because I ripped all 11 Seasons to unRAID last week and honestly I was confused on which episode is which in each season so now I can use my iPad or my Android phone to identify them.

Thanks this is really helpful

• 2 weeks later...

I messed with it while watching random tv shows off my server last night and I gotta say, CREEPY... I thought soundhound/shazaam et al were voodoo black magic already, this just goes one step beyond... It identified a TV show from like 10 seconds of background noise and then like 2 lines of dialog

What blew me away was I was renaming my MASH box set. There are 11 seasons with 20+ episodes per season. So lets just say it was a God send to click the Green button on my iPad.

I would start an episode up slide the bar over to the middle to jump right into the episode without having to wait for the intro to finish. It was an episode where a Helicopter was flying around in the mountains bringing in wonded. There wasn't one spoken word. I tried it 3 times because I couldn't belive it. It nailed the episode everytime.

I use it every other day. I cut cable a few years ago, and have a Mac running EyeTV as my DVR. I get my tv guide data over the air from each station, but it's horribly incomplete; it's always missing the episode names. (not sure if the stations don't send it or eyetv is not properly saving it.) I then use eyetv to clip out the commercials, and  convert it to a mp4 file, then use this app to help figure out what episode it was and rename it. If I'm really ambitious I run the mp4 thru iDentify to fill in all the mp4 tags, but I usually don't, or I wait until I have a whole season and then do it.

Well since the database is obviously out there, someone or someones should build a cross-platform program to use the database to "fingerprint" the episodes to do everything for you, much like MusicBrainz Picard does. Just to get the database from yahoo would be the hard part, :/.

Have you tried using EyeTV EPG Proxy ?  http://eep.pommepause.com/

Seems like it would solve your issue

Anybody know of a similar service on the pc?

I use 'For the Record' at the moment to record TV shows, however its naming has something left to be desired since the EPG doesn't know the episode title, season number or episode number! Making it almost impossible for me to convert it into a compatible format for xbmc.

This seems like the perfect thing to patch in, be able to feed a video file & it outputs the tvdb link (or the format to use Show Name.SXX.EXX)

Anybody know of anything similar? This has seriously sparked my interest, and short of hooking it up to my phone to run automatically ( ;D ;D Ultimate hackjob) i'd love to be able to do this.