Request for help using Midnight Commander

dave

I'd like to move all of disk2's contents to disk3 without going over the network - it's my understanding that Midnight Commander can do this. However, I am not figuring out the interface for this tool.

I'm able to get the two disk's shown on the screen, but I am unsure how to select and copy/move the files and directories:

mc.jpg

When I hit F5, "15~" is entered in the command line and tapping enter says "command not found." When I type in F5 manually, I also get "command not found." I've also tried just "5" with the same result.

If someone could please give me a crashcourse on this, that would be appreciated!!!

Thanks.

1. As suggested, use Putty instead of Telnet:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

2. Based on the screen shot, move the cursor over "Movies" on the left pane and press F6, then press Enter.  My understanding is MC will copy the files first and then remove the source files when complete

3. When finished, Move the cursor down to "Television" and press F6 and Enter again.

Use Esc - number sequence (1-0) instead of function keys. (Esc 5) for copy.

Dave, do yourself a favor,download PuTTY, it's less frustrating than Telnet.

PB

Thank you! The ESC+ was what I was missing. The files are currently copying over...  :)

As a tip, when moving multiple directories such as that, highlight one, press "Insert", the selection should turn a pale yellow, then highlight the next you wish to move, and press "Insert" again. Repeat for however many directories you want to move(to the same destination obviously) and then use the "Move" command.

I right click on the folder/directory I want to move, it/they should turn yellow, then click on Copy(slower) or  RenMov(faster) and in the popup that appears type in where you want it/them to go, so for you it would be something like /mnt/disk3/ which will place those into the root of disk 3. If you want just a single file to go into another folder already on disk 3,right click file to highlight yellow then it might be something like, /mnt/disk3/nameoffolder/        play around using the Copy function on single files first until you get the hang of it, that way you will still have the original in the original location, thats what I did, and still do as I move things so rarely I forget what to do ::)

Archived