Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

Quick question, the precompiled TVheadend plugin with the HDHomeRun tuners, was that for the ATSC one or the DVB version?

I had a few seconds before work to get the plugin installed with a working network card and the TV adapter tab only had the ATSC version listed.

Thanks Josh

It should work for DVB also. The only catch is that you may need to make some changes to the dvbhdhomerun configuration file. See here http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/wiki/FAQ.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check the TVheadend site and forums for specifics about the application. This plugin in merely a way to help you install it on unRaid "easily".

I just popped in my other WinTVR 1250 and itr works great! I was checking the author's site out I just wondered if there was "stripped" functionality on the unRAID version (because of dependencies, etc) and thought this was the better place to ask since it was OS specific...

Now to get a cheap USB tuner and see if that works ;)

Might be a dumb question but where is the dvbhdhomerun config file?

/etc has no hdhomerun stuff, only the /sys folder.

I'm assuming I also don't need to load the modules as the plugin should do that right?

Thanks Josh

Hey, yes it should be placed in /etc. I'm not sure if the plugin loads the modules or not. I load them from the go script, see my instructions a few pages back. Just check using lsmod to see if they are loaded. On my system, I see this:

root@Tower:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dvb_hdhomerun           8010  19
dvb_core               63389  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_fe        4597  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_core      1623  2 dvb_hdhomerun,dvb_hdhomerun_fe

That is what lsmod shows, so I would assume the module is loaded.

root@Server:/# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
md_mod                 44257  2
xor                    14029  1 md_mod
dvb_hdhomerun           8010  24
dvb_core               63389  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_fe        4597  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_core      1623  2 dvb_hdhomerun,dvb_hdhomerun_fe
sg                     12748  0
forcedeth              41574  0
k10temp                 1915  0
hwmon                    945  1 k10temp
sata_nv                15031  2

This line gets put in the go script automatically when the plugin is installed which looks similar to yours.

modprobe dvb_hdhomerun && sleep 3 && /usr/bin/userhdhomerun &

All I see when I get to the webinterface is this selection from the TV adapter section as per the attached picture.

Have no ability to select location in Australia but I don't know if that is to do with it.

There is nothing in the /etc folder I tried a find command and it only showed hdhomerun stuff in the /sys folder.

I'm going to have to dig into this more next weekend when I get more play time.

Thanks Josh

tv.jpg.f328e7bd507ef4539891831704ec2d59.jpg

All I see when I get to the webinterface is this selection from the TV adapter section as per the attached picture.

Have no ability to select location in Australia but I don't know if that is to do with it.

There is nothing in the /etc folder I tried a find command and it only showed hdhomerun stuff in the /sys folder.

I'm going to have to dig into this more next weekend when I get more play time.

Thanks Josh

Yeah the lsmod all looks good. I would just try to create the config file in etc and reload the modules and see if it then changes to DVB. I know on my ubuntu system all that was necessary was to edit that file to change from ATSC to DVB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, bit of a noob here but I'm looking to get this up and running with at least a dvb-t2 dual tuner. I think that TBS tuners are supported but I wanted to double check that something like:

www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-E-DVB-T2-Definition-Digital-Receiver/dp/B005JTA7TG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3BATKIZO448X2&coliid=I1OC8MB124V6J5

would work easily? And if not what would be recommended.

lem

I am asking the original author of the wiki who got it working with 4.7 to see if we can use the same steps to get it working on 5.x so i will update here. I am very keen to get it all working on unRAID myself! The problem is getting the media branch in there correctly...

Hi guys,

please note that the git repository of tvheadend has changed to git://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend.git

I changed this line in the wiki entry fro version 4.7. Don't know if this is valid or if anything else needs to be adapted...

Since there hasn't been much ongoing development on the old branch adamsutton has now joined the tvheadend team and is pushing out new features(see his posts here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133917). If you have pre-built packages you should consider updating them with the new repo since there is realy some new stuff in there :-)

Note: I didn't read the whole topic, so forgive me, if you already knew :-P

I really love this plugin and just want to update the version of tvheadend within. What is the best way of doing this? Build a package in a virtual slackware environment (if so - which version?)

I'm quite happy compiling stuff but more used to Ubuntu/Debian.

No, should be no need to build in a virtual environment. I would read the guide on building tvheadend should be possible to build inside unraid. From what I remember it required a bit of tinkering but it was reasonably straightforward. I have not yet seen anything too exciting in the newest versions of tvheadend. Mostly just changes to some of the EPG system. Anyway, I'm sure big things are coming...

It seems like without WW this plugin is not going anywhere. Is anyone here capable enough, or already running TVHeadEnd succesfully, to help with getting it to download the latest realease and create a guide to install the media modules in the kernel? Can it even be done without repackaging the kernel?

It seems like without WW this plugin is not going anywhere. Is anyone here capable enough, or already running TVHeadEnd succesfully, to help with getting it to download the latest realease and create a guide to install the media modules in the kernel? Can it even be done without repackaging the kernel?

Yes, of course it does not require rebuilding the kernel...it just requires you already have a media enabled kernel to run it successfully. I could do it...but time is very limited these days. I'll give it a try, no promises though.

Hi Bonzi,

That is what i mean, to get the kernel to be media enabled, you'd have to extract it from Limetechs releases, add the media pack and repackage it as bzimage/root. And we'd have to do it for each version released.

Beyond that, TvHeadEnd has to be updateable from Git...

No. Once you have a media enabled kernel you do not have to keep updating it unless there is a media playback related change that requires it. Unless you are meaning for each unRaid release instead of TVheadend release.

Thats exactly what i mean, with each unRaid release :) Thats why WWs is stuck at Beta 4.

If someone is dedicated enough to build it for each release, and we get an updated plugin going on, it should be good for everyone.

Furthermore, does XMLTV need to be installed separately or am i not getting this right?

Thats exactly what i mean, with each unRaid release :) Thats why WWs is stuck at Beta 4.

If someone is dedicated enough to build it for each release, and we get an updated plugin going on, it should be good for everyone.

Furthermore, does XMLTV need to be installed separately or am i not getting this right?

I don't understand what you mean...the issue is that unRaid is stuck at RC4 or tvheadend isn't from the latest git? Like I explained before, tvheadend can be updated without updating anything else on the unRaid system. Building a new unRaid system is a lot more work. I guess the RC4 that this plugin is based on is still the one I built? I don't see much point in updating it. Later RC mainly have been to just test LSI related issues in later kernels. The kernel that RC4 is based on works well with LSI cards AFAIK....so why bother?

Any Schedules Direct users get this to work with the XMLTV scraper without having to spoonfeed it each time you need more guide data.  Using MC2XML doesnt seem like a solution for me.  I am trying to use unRAID instead of a full blown Ubuntu Server setup like I have now.  If I have to rely on hacks and spoonfeeding the files I may as well remain where I am.

Anyone ?

Kryspy