Download repository advice

limetech

Lets keep this in context gents.... currently its 40GB a month. In the scale of a download site thats nothing. Theres not been a DAY in the last 3 years i haven't broke 40GB.

Forget cheap shared hosting. No matter what anyone says as soon as you start consistently using up the bandwidth your will get shut of or throttled. Sorry if im stepping on any toes when i say this but anyone who says cheap hosts give you TBs of bandwidth a month for a few bucks hasn't ran a site that uses alot of bandwidth.

Leaseweb all the way.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if im stepping on any toes when i say this but anyone who says cheap hosts give you TBs of bandwidth a month for a few bucks hasn't ran a site that uses alot of bandwidth.

You are correct.  I do not have any experience with high bandwidth web-sites.  I am only a customer of site5, I have nothing else to do with them, other than they host 2 sites I maintain, and neither uses more than a gig or so bandwidth in a given month. 

Tom has apparently decided to wait to the 1st to release his next version. of unRAID  Many here offered space, alternative distribution, mirrors, etc.  Since he has not chimed in on the discussion, I think this is the last I'll say on this thread.  It is his call.

You did not step on my toes...  I agree with you, bandwidth abusers with any host will be throttled in some way and offers too good to be true are usually not as advertised.  The deal is real though, even for the legacy $5 a month plan I have that limits me to 5000 GB a month. (and I use about 1 GB per month)

Since we  cannot predict Tom's future bandwidth needs, and we can only hope he keeps on growing, I expect he'll eventually need either a different host, or alternative storage space. 

Joe L.

Yeah i think we all agree. One reason that I am so pro torrent distribution as the initial distribution method is that it naturally scales by demand. I was always fighting bandwidth bottlenecks and the trade of between more money and excessive server capacity etc. Now it dont care becuase as demad grows so do peers on the swarm naturally increasing the available bandwidth pool without any human intervention.

I would defintaly think the best/cheapest short term compromise would be:

On day of release create a  torrent and seed it (takes perhaps 5 minutes)

After the initial demand spike has decreased host the files on http/ftp as well but on a seperate cheap shared host account to a subdomain such as download.lime-technology.com. This way the forum and wiki etc dont get taken out if to many people download.

Allow people to host externally as well as post links on the forum.

Specifically to Joe L.. Sorry if i came across as a meany i had no intention of "having a go" :). I just have direct and lots of helping other projects experience of the infamous "weve cancelled your account since you breached our fair usage policy you never knew we had shared host problem".

Tom has apparently decided to wait to the 1st to release his next version. of unRAID  Many here offered space, alternative distribution, mirrors, etc.   Since he has not chimed in on the discussion, I think this is the last I'll say on this thread.  It is his call.

Agreed, although perhaps they found one more bug and are working on fixing and testing that before releasing 4.3.2

I'm pretty surprised at the ignorance surrounding Torrents. It's one thing to not know what they are but to think that they are somehow a security risk or denote "bad things"? I have to laugh! ::)

I haven't done a direct DL of a Linux distro in YEARS - it's all by torrent. Large game demos and trials? All by Torrent. Can I find "bad" things available via torrent? Sure, and I can find them via FTP and HTTP downloads too! Torrents are checked via CRCs, polluters are kicked out, and the distribution takes care of itself. I've even used for for an ISO of a software package a friend was sending by mail that I needed right away (Vista actually). If the download breaks midstream I can resume and the software will find\aggregate peers so that no one individual takes on too much of the burden. Try corrupting a torrent with malware - you can't unless you're the original seed. Having a client in Tom's software would be nice but enough of us have standalone clients to do this and take some load off.

I'd be happy to seed Tom's software and wouldn't think twice about it. If I had a direct IP I'd post a link here now but I'm behind two NAT's and yeah Torrents work through it just not as well. <shrug> Need a tracker? Heck, slap it on TPB. They will host legit as well as pirate stuff all day long - I've used them! Someone with a direct IP slap it up there, I'll be happy to help seed. Heck, it will get greater exposure to Tom's site too!

I see 3 peers and no seeds currently but the tracker shows a seed - you are directly reachable and seeding yes? I have the torrent forced and set for high bandwidth so as soon as I get a hold of it I will be pushing it out. I suppose I could move the HTTP version to the loacation right? Hrm, if I cannot hit the seed I will before bed.

Okay, I SHOULD be seeding now!

What I did was take the version that I downloaded via HTTP earlier and placed it in the location that I told my torrent client to "download" the file from TPB. I then redownloaded the torrent file from TPB and it saw the file as completed - yes it does a CRC check. So now I show as a peer ;D

So, when the tracker gets it figured out you ought to see 2 seeds. Sadly I am not directly reachable though so we still need some others. I DO have downloads occurring on other trackers so I know I can help seed but so far I have no connections on the TPB torrent - I do see like 4 people trying to leech however....

Definition of "seedy" - you click on the link and see a couple of scantily clad hotties "in your area" blowing kisses at you.  ;)

But I'm willing to endure this pleasant distraction - just don't think Tom should be making it "the official" download mechanism.  Next time I'll try to use the Torrent to save Tom a little bandwidth.

Check out this link ... maybe it will get you some action on the torrent ...

You should be able to look at your client and see incoming connections, there ARE peeps out there trying!

Yeah, seeing come ons from "local" women using ip geolocation is a bit annoying but honestly I don't usually see them as I use FireFox with Adblocking installed. ;D I know a few of the sites I visit have that garbage but I'm generally looking for garbage when I'm on those sites so fair is fair! :D

Cannot recall if TPB has those sorts of ads. I'm sure there are bound to be other trackers out there we could use but TPB is certainly one of the biggest and most reliable around.

Sorry about the seedy... LOL.. I was just trying to use a tracker that I knew worked.

I tried the linuxtracker one but when I registered it said my birthday was invalid...

Otherwise I would have used that one!

I'll try another tracker soon. Just wanted to get us working on something so I could distribute some of the packages I've been working on.

I can host the .torrent file itself on my own server if need be.

Someone is seeding off me now :-) 73K per second and I've got double that going on other torrents. I'll be slowing it down soon for the night but will seed into the foreseeable future - half nekked girls don't bother me ;-)

Hehe, bumped my max up again - wonder how fast I can get this to you :D Peaked at a bit over 700kbps - not too shabby and dropped a 6min completion to seconds...

Got it!  Painless and fast.  Awesome.

I now seem to be streaming the file to others.  My Internet connection is not too fast on the upload side.

I added a link to the Best of the Forums for both the unRAID 4.3.2 torrent and the utorrent software.

Got my port forwarding figured out.

I saw connections with ctorrent and I was able to stop those and re-download the torrent with rtorrent.

I believe we're good for now.

For those looking to test, you can download the ctorrent pkg from an URL I previously supplied

http://www.cotrone.com/rob/projects/unraid/

Install that package with installpkg ctorrent-dnh3.3.2-i486-1.tgz or download the ctorrent.zip file for the binary only.

I also have the unraid Server 4.3.2.torrent file to use at that location.

Download the package, install it.

Download the torrent file to one of your shares.

Telnet in to your server.

cd to the share you want to download to.

type ctorrent unRAID Server 4.3.2.torrent

Archived