Win 8 Storage Spaces... Problems straight out of the gate....

abs0lut.zer0

yup - when it comes to trusting my data - i will almost never again trust MS - they need to come to the party rock solid

lost many software RAID-5's before ( yes bad idea... but believe me - unstable / unpredictable doesn't begin to describe it)

hope they resolve it though -feature wise - or at least the features that was sold - seems to be very nice indeed

No really a surprise.  I don't know why they even waste money trying to develop something of their own... pay some license fees, or buy someone, and adopt it into Windows.

This highlight the #1 Biggest Advantage of of unRAID (in my opinion), is that if the "S@#@" hits the fan, at least you can put your drives into another system and get the data off (or what remains of it).  Most other solutions you lose 100% of the data, or have to spend a fortune getting replacement parts in the hopes that you can recover.

Doesn't sound good to me. I'll stick to unraid.

My worry is If they get Windows 8 stable won't this kill off unraid?

What would be the benefit of unaid over windows 8?

unraid has many more benefits, just see my post above, and numerous other posts that talk about the benefits (at least from a media/backup mass storage setup).

I was actually coming on the forums here to check on two things: 1) to see how v5 development was going and 2) to see if anyone tried out storage spaces.  Unfortunately, there's bad news on both fronts. 

I'm going to have a spare computer soon, once I re-consolidate my servers into two machines from three.  I might try putting Windows 8 on that spare just to see if Storage Spaces works OK for me.  For now my unRAID-4 box is doing fine, but the v5 development really has me concerned (yes,  I realize there's extenuating circumstances with some hardware and kernel problems, but there are always going to be problems to work-around).  It would be nice to have some sort of backup for unRAID if things really go south.

I was actually coming on the forums here to check on two things: 1) to see how v5 development was going and 2) to see if anyone tried out storage spaces.  Unfortunately, there's bad news on both fronts. 

I'm going to have a spare computer soon, once I re-consolidate my servers into two machines from three.  I might try putting Windows 8 on that spare just to see if Storage Spaces works OK for me.  For now my unRAID-4 box is doing fine, but the v5 development really has me concerned (yes,  I realize there's extenuating circumstances with some hardware and kernel problems, but there are always going to be problems to work-around).  It would be nice to have some sort of backup for unRAID if things really go south.

it is exactly like i was told what type of hardware do you have, the reason is my hardware was not on the 'watch list' and i have been running v5 .x betas for a loong time now and no data loss or any type of problems...

so if you hardware is sound i would say v5 is GOOD to go....

it's still better than ANYTHING out there IMO....

::)

• 1 month later...

Remember Window ME. Here we go again. I really hate the Metro UI.

Well, that's sort of a different issue, but...

I've been playing with a Win8 VM over the last week.  I actually like the Metro UI more than I thought I would.  That being said, a few tweaks would make it better.  Namely, I wish you could run metro apps side-by-side with a sufficiently high resolution monitor.  Even then I think I'd have problems doing actual work, though.

Most of all, I hate how they tried to combine the metro apps with desktop mode.  It is really jarring to go between metro apps and the desktop.  I would have preferred that they try to smooth out the differences a bit more.  For instance, they could have had legacy apps run in their own "virtual desktop" windows in a full screen mode.  And they certainly should have gotten metro versions of Office out the door.

I went to a Microsoft store yesterday and tried out a Surface tablet.  It actually seems really nice.  If I didn't already have 3 tablets I'd be tempted to get one.  The interface is really nice on a tablet.  Not as nice on laptop/desktop, but still pretty nice for casual use.  I imagine they'll have to back off the metro interface in the next version of Windows, though.  I don't see how I could do work in that interface.  I think they know the metro interface will be a disaster on business machines, but MS probably didn't expect businesses to move off of Win7 anyway.  Forcing metro down people's throats on the desktop will get developers to develop apps for the metro interface, and their development tools make it relatively easy for them to port apps to ARM tablets.  Without the consumer laptops/desktops running metro, some developers probably wouldn't bother developing for Win8 ARM tablets.  But now they probably will.

Still curious about storage spaces, though.  It sounds like one of the bigger problems is that it doesn't do well if you try to expand your storage array one drive at a time. 

I think with the relative cheapness now, we are going to be seeing more and more touch screen laptops and desktops. I'm actually surprised we haven't yet.

This seems to be Microsoft's push in that direction. I for one would welcome it, as long as they allowed me to use a keyboard and mouse as well if I want.

Out of curiosity, has anyone been playing around with Storage Spaces yet?

Yep. I actually like it. It's simple enough to set up and doesn't seem to be significantly slower than unraid on similar hardware.

I would trust unraid more with my data. However, the big advantage for me is that I can run lots of other stuff as well as my storage solution on a single box via VMs. (I know, I know and I've been toying with Xen etc.). However, a windows based system has better hardware support for all the stuff I want to do and it just fits my needs well.

If you're bored, you can follow my exploits in transitioning from unRAId to Storage Spaces on my blog (mediaserver8.blogspot.com)

Doesn't sound good to me. I'll stick to unraid.

My worry is If they get Windows 8 stable won't this kill off unraid?

What would be the benefit of unaid over windows 8?

I would not worry about that happening. If you start off with 3 data drives plus parity in storage spaces it creates 4 strip parity. When you want to expand your storage you have to add another 4 drives to the strip set.....start off with 6 drives you need to add 6 more to expand the space. Unraid is a lot more user friendly, just add a drive here or there.